Check the warranty before you buy an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Trefoil, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I researched on the internet before buying a rcom 20 digital incubator last July(2011). From what I found, including that it came with a 1 year warranty, I purchased this incubator, not seeing any mention of warranty on the site I purchased it from. After 8 months the humidity unit on it broke and I notified the company I purchased it from. They wrote me back telling me that rcom incubators only have a 90 day repair warranty. This for a $450. incubator. Buyer Beware and be careful that you get any warranty in writing at time of purchase. The best incubator is worthless if 1. it has no warranty and/or 2. you can't get it repaired if it breaks.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    But it had a 1 year warranty. So what does a warranty do if the repair portion is 90 days? Sounds like that is a store warranty and you have to go straight to the source and write RCOM. Though I see it's a Korean company so mayhaps wont ship you a new humidity unit. You don't know till you try. Could be a simple as them sending you a new chip that you can easily replace.

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I have an Rcom mini incubator, and I don't have a humidity controller, but I have a humidity monitor, so when the humidity gets to a certain point, I have to fill it with water.

My egg turner broke, so I had to take the incubator apart, and mess with the gears a bit, to get it working again. My unit hasn't been much of a problem for me. Have you taken your incubator apart, to see if maybe something didn't stop working, but that something may not have a very good connection. You may have to get the solder gun and solder out, to solder some connections back together.

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I can't really do anything until I get the eggs out of it, They have pipped and I'm adding wet paper towels to try to keep the humidity up. And frankly, after I got off the phone with lyons (?) I was super angry & posted. Its a korean company that produces the rcom incubators, they are imported by lyons, I called another store that sells rcoms, they thought they carried a year warranty and said the manufacturer must have changed it. They gave me the telephone # for lyons and the email address for the maker. Lyons told me they had a lot of calls but the warranty was only 90 days. Until this happened, I thought they were good incubators. I just don't understand how a company can change retroactively their warranty, and if it is just 90 days, why isn't that stated upfront. I'm just ranting and raging and wanting everyone to know before they spend the money that these incubators basically don't have a warranty over 90 days, and good luck with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by