1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Check this bator out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poulets De Cajun, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

After learning what my old incubator REALLY is.... Lyon Electric instead of GQF like I thought it was, I did a quick search and found the companies website.

Check out this incubator! I think I like the looks of it more than the sportsman. I wonder what the price on them are.

There isn't a distributor near me, but I may have to go check them out next time we go to Houston...

http://lyonelectric.com/dandylyon.pdf

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I like it...clean lines...easily adjusted. I'll be looking at one like this for the spring.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    That is cool! If hubby doesn't build me a cabinet style and I don't win the one from the raffle for our local poultry association I may take some tax refund $$ and get one like that.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Craigs list has an incubator for $50.00 is this one I should consider to start out with ? Brower Top hatch incubator with auto turner

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I like the looks of it and the two features I really like are the heights of the compartments.. I multitask when I am hatching and it would be nice to just reach in and remove certain eggs without having to take the trays out..

and the airflow, good airflow prevents cold and hot spots..

I did not see any reference to humdiity, however..

I would wager that the least expensive model is around $800.oo
    just a guess.........

when are you going to the big city?

.......jiminwisc........

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I just talked to the folks at Lyon regarding the Dandy lyon incubator. It has a very specific air flow system that forces air down the outside walls and then up from the bottom.

$1895.00 plus freight FOB Chula Vista Ca.

Pricey but looks like a beauty.

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Holy Cow! [​IMG] I guess I am back to getting Hubby to work his cabinet making magic and build me one.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    well, I guess my $800.oo estimate was a little low..LOL

If I could get my hands on a set of turning shelves, I would turn an old refrigerator or upright freezer into a bator..

9. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I like it, it looks like if a person wanted to make one like it they would start with a basic wine cooler.... Hmmm... craigs list broken wine cooler... hole saw, plastic sheeting, more fans, heating element, solid state temperature controller, Hmmmmm..... :thun

10. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    The thing I want to see on this one is the air channels in the outside walls. I think the fans blow air into these outer wall chambers to the floor of this model and then air flow up from the bottom. A very nice woman told me that this incubator is very consisitent top to bottom. I am not sure the Sportsman can make that claim.

I think it could be built but would take some very careful planning. I think there is a plenum SP? at the top that distributes the air flow

I think I am going to get with a sheet metal guy see if he can design the sheet metal and build a cabinet around it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by