Check this Ohio coop ad out...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickinlickin, Sep 1, 2009.

1. chickinlickin

chickinlickin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
  2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Price doesn't seem too bad. You will have to put some kind of siding on the particle board...in our wet winters and springs that will swell considerably..also weaken it. You will need to factor that into your decision. We have T-11 siding on our coop, which is then wood stained. Good luck!

3. chickinlickin

chickinlickin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    Yeah, I'd probably side it with something.....maybe old barn siding..if I could scrounge some up...

4. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I often wonder how well OSB would hold up if it were coated with resin or epoxy paint... seems to me it would seal it up tight after a couple coats.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Thats a great price where im from they would be asking $500 To $1000 Man Tax- achusetts Really Bites. LOL

6. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Looks great, I would add an outside door behind the nesting boxes if possible. Other wise the price is great, think of the trips to home depot and the time you'll save. I'd look into it my self, but soon were taking a trip to the resale store in Youngstown to start on our new coop.

7. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Hey greenpeeps I am in East Rochester (columbiana co.) nice to know of someone close by. We were at the Canfield Fair yesterday!

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    That 4x8 one is an amazing price!!! If you get some really good exterior paint and paint it on thick it would eliminate the need for siding... you just need to make sure that all of the osb is covered well. I would jump on that!

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you take a close look at the pictures you will see that there is almost no framing. It is depending on the OSB for all of its support. OSB was made to be a sheathing material not if place of framing materials. This may accomplish the job but now very well. Even painted well OSB does not hold up very well. It was designed to be covered and not exposed to the weather except for a short temporary duration. Just an additional point, a 4x8' sheet of 7/16 OSB costs about $6.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  10. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I agree with Opa. It lacks quality in the details which will translate to poor performance. By the time you add siding, trim, sealant, etc., you might as well have built it right the first time.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by