check this tiny egg!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jj ranch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    check this out! one of my hens laid a tiny egg. a bit larger than a nickel. has this happened to you???[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Yes it has usually a first time layer but I have seen even a 2 year old lay a small egg from time to time. I would not worry unless it happens om a regular bases.

3. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I have gotten some unusually tiny eggs and each time, they had no yolk. Don't know what the reason is, but I guess it just happens. Probably nothing to worry about, as all of my hens seem to be fine. Genie

4. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    we laughed so hard when we seen that. the hens were chasing it rolling it around. lol

5. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    We've had this before and were strangely proud of it, LOL! [​IMG] Penny laid it, she was about 3 years old at the time and was just finishing her year of laying for the winter when it happened...

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Cute little egg. So far in the 6 months of laying, none of my 6 hens have laid any tiny eggs.

7. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    They call them rooster eggs. It just happens periodically. They usually don't have a yolk, but it doesn't hurt the hens or anything. They are just really cool. Enjoy!

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I thought they were called wind eggs? Regardless it's a cute little thing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by