Check this weird egg out...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shortnsweet1025, Sep 24, 2010.

1. shortnsweet1025

shortnsweet1025 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I saw a few "weird egg posts" so I thought I would add mine.. I few days ago one of my hens didn't lay an egg after reliably laying one egg a day. The next day I go out and find this HUGE egg that looks like it's been bonded in the middle. The one on the right is a normal size brown egg. Do ya'll think it'll have two yolks? The mystery will be solved tomorrow when I crack it open for Saturday breakfast..I'd like some thoughts though... Thanks =-)

[​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Every now and then I find a giant egg and feel real sorry for the chicken. I'm hoping you have a double yolker there!

3. shortnsweet1025

Jun 11, 2010
    Ya me too! I'm pretty excited...However, I did feel bad for her too.. She's only been laying for about a month so that had to hurt lol...It's so big the egg carton won't even close!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Seems like the giant eggs happen mostly with younger hens. Maybe they're trying to impress their friends, LOL

5. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    That's gotta be it; trying to impress their friends!

6. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    impressive, looks about the size of a duck or turkey egg

7. shortnsweet1025

Jun 11, 2010
    Ya.. I kinda wanna save it lol.. But I don't know how besides like pokin a hole and suckin the stuff out.. Kinda gross to me though lol... I agree though.. "Hey Ladies....Look at MyYyYY egg!! BEAT THAT HA!" they must say to eachother..

8. itsalladream

itsalladream Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Quote:I thought that was a guy thing.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Buff Orpington??

I have one who pretty relaibly lays eggs that look like two halves put together, or like they got squeezed somehow in the eggmaking process, they come out with ridges in them, but they seem to be the norm for her, shey lays them all the time like that.
    Also one of the two BO's lays doubleyolkers pretty often, but I've not really determined if it's the same girl who lays the normal sized eggs with ridges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by