check your facts, please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by possumqueen, Dec 6, 2009.

1. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I am compelled to make an observation.

I received my eagerly awaited BYC calendar yesterday -- MAN that was fast! But I was bitterly disappointed to find a serious factual error in it that cries out for correction.

For pure beauty, this is the best thing I've ever seen. Nothing beats up-close-and-personal chicken portraiture for class and style, and the photos in the calendar are awesome. I enjoyed paging through the whole thing last night.

But then I got to December. Yes, that's a Missouri snow fowl, and a nice one, too. karanleaf must have a room full of ribbons and a flock of prize winners there. But -- a pullet???? I think not!

Look at the well developed, bright red comb, the classic broody stink-eye, and the egg lying right there beside her! Clearly this is a mature laying hen, sitting on a clutch to boot!

Granted we don't see too many of these birds here in the South for obvious reasons, but BYC should know by now that I am never wrong. So 'fess up, y'all. Admit that you've got egg on your face here.[​IMG]

2. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Well from what I've learned a pullet is less than a year old.
    2. pullet - young hen usually less than a year old
    biddy, hen - adult female chicken

A young pullet will lay an egg at 5 -7 months so..... If this girl (and I didn't see the pic) is less than a year, then it is correct to say she is a pullet.

3. Wanda

Wanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    not familiar with this particular breed or at what point it starts laying but I have heard a pullet is a pullet til it is a year old, then it is called a hen. If that is true, a pullet can be laying for a number of months before it is officially a hen.

Wanda

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

I too have not seen the picture in question but we had three broodies this fall that all set and hatched chicks and they were all under a year which made them pullets.

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    My broodiest girl had only been laying for 1 month when she first went broody- well under 1 year = still a pullet, BUT
    now I really really really want a BYC calendar. I love your description

6. possumqueen

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:I stand corrected. But I'm still never wrong. mistaken, occasionally. . . . .

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    So, the only mistake you ever made was when you thought you were wrong and turned out you were right again. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. possumqueen

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:Look here now! Don't laugh at me like that! YOU look at that picture and see if YOU would see a pullet or a setting HEN![​IMG]

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Ha-ha-ha! Gotcha! I couldn't pass that up. I have not seen the pictures. [​IMG]

I do have 24 pullets of 6 months age, 4 breeds, and half of them are so fat they look like sumo wrestlers. (they run like sumo wrestlers too, kind of a high-speed waddle) No way I could tell a hen (technically over 1 year old) from one of my fatsos that are only 6 months old. Some of mine do lay two eggs a day and two of them lay double-yolkers that look like turkey eggs. My six Black Australorpes look like black Jersey Giants, and 4 of my 6 Barred Rocks do too, along with two RIR. Mine did start laying a bit young though, at 4 months. It may be that they are so big because they get tons of live greens and always have from day 1. Everyone who has seen them even at 4 months old thinks they are big for their age. So really, based on my admittedly very limited experience, I could not say from a picture what age a chicken is. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by