1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Checked my wild wood duck project today!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cawooduck, Apr 29, 2009.

1. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Its been about 3 weeks since i checked the nest boxes for the wild woodies on my ranch, so i decided to go out and check them with my youngest son after work today, and the girls have been busy!!

I have one box with a dump nest of 17 eggs, one hen was setting on 12 eggs in another box (i think the same hen from last year), 4 eggs in another box, 5 eggs in another and 1 in another. I also see that the starlings sure hit a few boxes, but their eggs and nests were destroyed by me.

Looks like another successful season in the making!!........Jason

2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like your boxes are getting used for sure. I have helped put up nest boxes in several locations over the years and can appreciate the time and effort it takes to build and place them in suitable habitat. I checked some last week and several where full of eggs and two had hens already setting on them. A couple had been hit by a predator(most likley a raccoon) so I am planning to move them to deeper water.

Good luck with you boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by