Checked vent and tons of fluid came out! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickchickgirls, Aug 4, 2010.

1. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    One of my hens has been off for about two weeks. I thought she was egg-bound, doing the penguin walk, but still running with the other girls and eating. I have tried the soaking bath, applied rubbing oil, gave her calcium, nothing helped. Last night my husband tried to feel if an egg was stuck, instead of an egg, a large volume of fluid that looked like urine shot out of her. She seemed much better right after and was walking normal. She ate a bit more and then went to bed with the other girls. I kept my fingers crossed for this morning, but she is back hunched over, not as penguiny, but still a bit, and she doesn't look too good. Any one have suggestions? I don't want to cull her, but I don't want her suffering either. This morning was the first time she didn't come running with everyone when I came out. Three different people told me to do the "finger insert" thing, but now I feel horrible that we may have made it worse.

2. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    Update: she is completely in the penguin mode, not walking, with her head turned kind of sideways. Please help! I don't want her to suffer but if there is another remedy, I want to try before we put her down. [​IMG]

3. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    I don't have enough experience to give any advise, but I do send my sympathy. I'm so sorry for your situation. I hope something helps and she gets better. [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sounds like possibly an internal layer issue.
    Speckledhen(one of the moderators) has had to deal with this many times.
    Type internal layer into the search and see if that is what you think it might be.
    Good luck to you.

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    [​IMG]I don't know enough about chicken ailments to guess what it could be either. But, if there isn't a vet you can take her to, maybe you should put her down if she gets any worse. The fact that she didn't come running with the others is definitely a bad sign. I am so sorry you are having this bad experience. [​IMG]

6. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    Thank you all for the kind words. After reading on it, it does sound like internal layer. She will be the first one I had to put down in the two and a half years I have had the ladies. So sad and dreading. My husband grew up on a dairy and I may push the task off on him. I read about the ether in a plastic box and that sounds like the least traumatizing. Any recommendations?

7. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never used the ether method, but I have heard that you have to make sure they are dead, or it only puts them in a deep sleep from which they awake, and you still have a sick chicken to deal with. Many say the broomstick method is the least traumatic for the chicken.
    I must admit that I put the task off on my husband.
    So sorry. [​IMG]

8. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    Broomstick? Like in hitting them in the head? I think I would definitely pass that one on to my husband. I keep hoping she will just go on her own.

9. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Quote:Sorry that you are dealing with this. Helping our feathered friends to stop suffering is aften difficult, but usually the most humane thing we can do.

To dispatch using the broomstick method you place the chicken on the ground, lay a broomstick across their neck, stand on the broomstick on either side of the chicken, grasp the legs and pull up sharply to break the neck. I keep a bag nearby to place the chicken in and wrap it tightly to minimize any reflex movement. Then I walk away for a few minutes to be sure the reflexing has stopped. It isn't easy from a psychological standpoint, but it seems to be the least traumatic for the chicken.

10. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    Uggghhhhh.... why can't our pets never be sick? I will let my husband know on the broom thing. I don't think I could do it myself. I feel so bad for her. Definitely worse today. I was hoping after all the fluid came out she would be improving. Thanks for the info. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by