Checking in on day two...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by backdooreggs, Mar 30, 2015.

1. backdooreggs

backdooreggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    First timer here . I have had a bad run with temperatures and the brooder. When leaving the house yesterday we lost two chicks ( both day old seemed to have mobility issues .) When the sun hit the side of the brooder i think it got too hot . We're making due with a large, dark purple plastic tub until we can figure out something better. The heat lamp was originally at 18 inches but I think that was causing really high temps . Now they have been moved out of direct sun , the lamp raised and shifted to one side creating a bright and shaded name. All morning they've been all around, eating drinking etc . Now they are almost all on the dark side cuddled up sleeping. Should I worry that it's too hot again or are they just doing what they need to do , avoiding the direct heat for the time being ? The lamp is set pretty high now so I don't think it's blistering . I guess I a worried to leave . Any input ?

2. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    You should get a thermometer. I used a plastic bin & they can get really hot. I ended up just using a 75 watt red bulb & it was all they needed. I didn't use the 250 watt heat lamp until I put them on the coop. When I used the heat lamp in the plastic tote it went up to 120 degrees very quickly. Way too hot.

3. backdooreggs

backdooreggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    Is the incubator thermometer set standing up against the side of the tub a pretty accurate gauge ? That's what I've got in there now . Thanks for your feedback - but god I feel terrible .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by