Checking incubator stats for Day 18 *Temps went up overnight*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donnap1967, Jun 16, 2008.

1. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Sorry this is so long.....it's my second hatch and the first wasn't too successful and I have less eggs this time so I really, really want them to hatch.

Ok, I have a homemade incubator I modeled after Miss Prissy's. If I ever do this again I will buy a bigger styro cooler. I realized after I put all the necessary parts in that it quickly shrank in size. It has been a good incubator so far though.

I have been able to keep wiggler temps between 98.7 and 99.5 for the first 18 days with humidity between 43%-47%. I have two rubbermaid containers under the hardware cloth and I made two holes in the side of the bator. I ran small fish tank tubing through the holes to the rubbermaid containers and bought cheap ketchup and mustard containers from the dollar store. I took the lids off, inserted the squeezy lid into the hose and taped it off. All I have to do to add water is attach the ketchup bottle to either of the lids and squeeze water in.

Today is Day 18 and I added a sponge and a wet paper towel that should wick off the sponge and got the humidity up to 59%-62% at first. When that didn't feel like enough I made a hole in the side and attached a hose right above the sponge so I could squeeze in more water as needed. I squeezed in more water, which apparently was more than the sponge could hold so the excess ran off into the bottom of the incubator. It has ridges in the bottom that are now also holding water so the humidity is up to 69%. Temps still running about the same in the wiggler.

So my concerns are: (Pics below my many questions for reference)

- Is the humidity high enough if it stays at 69% ?

- Are my temps too low?

- There is hardly any room in there....will the chicks be smooshed and stuck between the carton and the light?? I don't want them to get stuck and get burned by being stuck near the light for too long.

- While the wiggler stays at 98.7-99.5, the actual air temp in the bator goes from 95-105 sometimes. Will that be too hot for the babies when they hatch?

- The one egg, as you can see by my pencil drawing has the air cell settled on the side of the egg mostly, just a tiny bit at the top. Instead of keeping it straight up and down. I leaned it to the side so the air cell is facing up. Is that okay or should I leave it straight??

- And lastly, am I just being neurotic? [​IMG]

Incubator set up:
    [​IMG]

Not much room:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sponge inside bator:
    [​IMG]

Tubes outside the incubator:
    [​IMG]

This is the egg with the crooked air cell. In this picture it is showing the side of the egg which is tilted upward.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading my lonnng post! and Heeeelllpppp! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sounds like you have everything under control. The end is always the hardest part of the waiting. Just remember sometimes a hatch can be a day late. Nothing you can do about it. Sometimes they can pip and not hatch for a day or so later. Don't be tempted to open the bator too early.

Good luck!!! [​IMG]

3. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    I have little expierience with the actual egg side but it sounds to me like your humidity is on the high side of perfect.
    Your temperatures are typical of using a hot water thermostat (large swings in air temp but consistant water wiggler temps). A slightly lower temp may mean a slightly later hatch but I was tuning my incubator with huge swings and still managed to hatch the two fertile eggs I had in there so your doing better than me. I thought the black area when candling was where I had been slowly cooking the eggs but it turned out I had a couple of guineas, if I couldn't kill them off in 28 days I'm sure you will do fine in 21.
    Just wondering, your filling tubes, are they sealed off as they will become vents if not, not that this is a problem as I have found the temps are more stable if your vented, when I tried to increase humidity by closing off a vent I had trouble maintaining temps possibly also due to chicks about to hatch but they stabilised when I had the vents unplugged .
    I think your good to go as you are and seeing as you mastered taking pictures into the incubator........keep clicking away!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  4. donnap1967

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Thanks Eggonomist and Miss Prissy, I feel much better.

As for the hoses, they aren't sealed off. They were originally some of the vent holes I made in the incubator to begin with so I figured it would be okay to leave them open. So far they seem to be working out ok.

I sure hope these next few days go quick....if I have too many more super long posts filled with questions like this one, I may drive everyone on the forum nuts! [​IMG]

5. donnap1967

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    My temps in the wiggler seem to have gone up overnight. It's now ranging 99.5-100.8, humidity goes up and down with the temperature so it's running 62%-72%. Are these okay for Day 18-21?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Still in good range for temps. As you get closer to hatch the temps will rise a bit. When they start to pip and hatch the humidity will rise again.

7. donnap1967

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Phew! Thanks again Miss Prissy!! [​IMG]

I will sit on my hands for the next three days and for the sanity of everyone here try my best to do this ----------> [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh, good luck to you!! [​IMG] Everything sounds great. I love the mustard can idea! [​IMG] I might have to do that. We're on day 16 here but last night when I candled they didn't look as big as they should. We had huge temp swings in the beginning, so I think that;s why it;s taking them longer to develop. We'll see. [​IMG]

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good luck!

10. donnap1967

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for the well wishes! I will be sure to keep you posted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by