Checking interest in auction eggs :)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by GracefulBantams, Jan 4, 2009.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I suppose I am thinking out loud here, but I just came up with an idea, and would love to get some input......
    About 10 miles from where I live, there is a rather large poultry auction twice a month (on the first and third Tuesday). They almost always have a great selection of hatching eggs with some being from the more 'professional' show stock. My idea is to purchase a dozen or two (if available) of the nicer/rarer breeds each auction in the spring and list them here on the BYC. I was thinking maybe $20-$25 dollars a dozen to cover my cost, time, materials, and the shipping. Of course, if some didn't sell within a day or two, I would be prepared to hatch them myself and sell them locally (...okay... I might keep a few anyway [​IMG] [​IMG])
    I kept myself rather busy last spring selling/shipping eggs from my own birds, so I do know what all is involved for that aspect of it.
    Any ideas or input? [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My concern would be that you being the "middle person" would not be able to assure a buyer the eggs are fresh or fertile.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    How would you know how old the eggs are, and by the time you sold them and got them to someone would they be hatchable?

4. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    How about this idea? Purchase the eggs, if you can get them at a reasonable price, hatch them, then sell the day old chicks. Try to line up customers for certain breeds ahead of time, then you will know what people want.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    As long as they are under 5 days old and you can get them out within a day or so, I think it would be fine.

This is my personal opinion...too much is made about "fresh" eggs. I've done all the research and I know that hatchability begins to decrease after about 7 days so by day 10 it may have dropped by 20%. This is for eggs that are kept at "cool" room temp. If you are storing longer than 5 days, they should be at about 42-45 degrees which is refrigerator temp.

For the eggs that I hatch for myself, I keep them in the fridge for up to 14 days until I get the amount I want to set. From this I've had hatches of 95-100%. They aren't shipped eggs, so you do have to add in that variable which could decrease hatchability by another 25%...maybe even more.

I tell you what...if you find bantam cochin eggs of show quality...let me know. I'd give them a try for sure!!

6. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the replies [​IMG]

Quote:True, but anyone who buys eggs from any auction would not have that assurance...

Quote:I will keep you in mind [​IMG] And, thank you for the other information.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

It's a nice idea, but without seeing pictures of the adult birds I kind of doubt anyone would invest 25.00 in the eggs.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Nice website, gracefulbantams!

I think the OP probably knows a thing or two about show quality bantams and probably knows the folks and their birds that are bringing the hatching eggs. I'd trust them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by