Checking my thermometer.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebelcowboysnb, Nov 23, 2008.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Ive used the same digital thermometer for year an have had great hatches with many different home made incubators. So I assumed it was accurate. We all know what they all say about assuming things. [​IMG]

Anyway, It hit me that I had I had a new $3 oral digital thermometer in the cabinet. I checked it to make sure it was accurate. It showed 97.9* in the front of my mouth an 98.4* in the back of my mouth, perfect. [​IMG]

Then I took the oral thermometer an put it in the water weasel/wiggler/sock an adjusted the thermostat till the temp read 99.5* then looked at my main thermometer. It read 98.8*. Now I know that I need to keep my temp showing 98.8* on my thermometer. [​IMG]

Now that's not that much of a change but being consistently off by .7* has to hurt hatch rates especially when ya start hatching more sensitive birds like duck an button quail. I mean if you had a fever of 99.3 for 3 weeks or more ya might not die but there's a good chance you would wish ya would. [​IMG]

I"m about to try my first hatch with my new home made fridge-u-bator. (friends barred rocks) Being the best incubator I've ever built an having my temp calibrated hopefully I'll get my best hatch ever. [​IMG]

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Good idea, but how do you know that your $3 oral thermometer is accurate?

3. rebelcowboysnb

I didn't but I expect better accuracy out of a medical thermometer than a weather thermometer. Anyway I checked it using a known value... Me!

I know the human core temperature is regulated precisely at 98.6*. But the inside of your mouth is slightly lower. The temperature at the front of your mouth just under your tongue is 97.9* an the temp under the back of the tongue is 98.4*.(assuming your not sick)

I checked my temperature in both places an it showed exactly what I expected. If it showed anything else I would ether be sick or the thermometer would be faulty. But since it showed what I expected then its ether accurate or its faulty, I'm sick and I don't know it. Odds lean to it being accurate but I can check my temp another day an be sure.

4. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    hhhmmmm....I don't know if that is the most logical assumption. Your temperature fluctuates throughout the day with many factors affecting it, even when you are not sick. Furthermore, many people's base temp is not 98.6 when they are not sick, just like not all peoples blood pressure is 120/80

5. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    if you are wanting an accurate thermometer get one made for incubators. They are accurate .1 or .2 degrees, unlike the thermometers you buy from the store which may only be accurate between 1-2 degrees

6. rebelcowboysnb

Never trust any thermometer made for any reason at any price until you've checked it ageist a known value at the temperature range your are checking.

I have a Fluke($200) thermometer that was pretty accurate the day I got it but after a week I wouldn't trust it for accuracy. I also have a lazier thermometer($150) my brother gave me that I've never checked its accuracy but I don't trust it better than +-5*. I have a Blue Point(SnapOn) dial thermometer, If I calibrate it in boiling water it will be really accurate around 200*to250* but be off at 100 an way off an need recalibrated at 0*(ice water). So assuming because you payed more or got a name brand or one made for a specific job that its accurate is a joke. You have to test it with a known temperature. An check it often.

After 13 years in EMS an checking who knows how many temps, I trust that the human body temp is very stable, especially mine. If ya dont trust one persons temp check 5. If ya know another known stable temp around 100* to calibrate a thermometer too I would like to know.

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    You can check your thermometer by using a water/ice bath. Fill a cup 1/2 full of ice and water. Put your thermometer in it as swirl to make sure it's mixed well. Your thermometer should read 32F

Steve in NC

8. rebelcowboysnb

That works, an why I said 0* I don't know. I have to use Celsius a lot.

The problem is if you calibrate a thermometer to 32* it can be off by 2* or more at 100*.

I keep one thermometer celebrated at 32* for working on AC units.

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:I beg to differ, a good thermometer should not drift in a 68 degree temp span. Key word being good, not a cheapo walmart model.

Steve in NC

10. rebelcowboysnb

It shouldn't but they can an they do.
    My fluke showed 32* in ice water and 217* in boiling water.

= 5*

=180

180 in to 5 is .0277

x.0277
    = 1.88* drift in 68*

I didn't get that one at walmart. Hell if it wasn't for a government grant I wouldn't have it or my my Blue Point. All thermometers drift, some more than others, and price has nothing to do with it. Every good thermometer I've ever seen has in the instructions, because of drift to calibrate them often an in the temperature range of there use.

Now if you have one that show 32* in ice water and 212* in boiling water then your good to go but I've never seen one do that.

Edited because I always screw a number up somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by