checking out the forum on my new Kindle Fire - wooo hooo!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by andalusn, Nov 19, 2011.

1. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Have had the Kindle Fire since Wednesday but not a lot of free time to do much until now. I'm on the wifi at home. Page load time is acceptible. Living out in the country I don't really have options for lightening fast speeds from the phone company & cable is not an option.

Book reading has been what I expected, I have a reg e-ink Kindle but wanted to access the web & email too. Trying to catch up on posts with my smart phone is hard [​IMG] my eyes are letting me know I really am 50! [​IMG] it's nice not lugging the lap top out to do mail and on line stuff in bed while hubby sleeps. So far so good.

2. Kickin.Cowgirl

Kickin.Cowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    I love the kindle ap!
    Is it good?

3. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I have the kindle app on my phone and really like it for those times when your stuck waiting longer than expected. The regular Kindle I use daily for reading but I have dithered for some time about an Ipad, I just wanted something that was larger, fit in my bag and use when I am at the coffee shop or bookstore. I have made a big effort to no longer warehouse what I would call disposable books.. paperbacks for light reading. The Kindle is a great book reader so the Fire is too. For night time reading I like the back lit display and being able to check email and browse the web is very nice. I am very happy with it. I actually don't see myself getting rid of the regular Kindle as it has its place too and they sync between units to keep me where I left off.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Do you know how to transfer books from the kindle to the kindle fire?

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    There may be a more sophisticated way to do it...but I just redownloaded them to the old kindle from my amazon. Only gripe I have with my fire is the 3G coverage really isn't coverage where I am at....or I haven't figured out how to make it work. I can access the web from my wireless but so far that is all.

6. debilorrah

Quote:I want to move them from the old kindle to the fire. Haven't figure it out yet.

7. debilorrah

I got it!!! Go to your Amazon account and you can deliver them individually there. WOW! What a great way to keep track of what I have read.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    OK, ladies, I posted about this on FB, but since you guys have them, I'll ask you too.....

I am thinking about getting a Kindle or something similar for my son for Christmas...do I have to have WiFi to be able to download things to it? How does it work? Does it have it's own WiFi thingy like my phone? "Thingy"....yes, that's the technical term, at least in my house....LOL

Any help you could offer would be great! Thanks!! [​IMG]

9. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I want the Kindle Fire sooooo bad! Maybe my hubby will "surprise" me with it for Christmas, if I'll just get busy and order it [​IMG] I have the inexpensive Kindle that doesn't have the color screen, and has the little keyboard below it. It has wifi capability and i can access the internet using my Verizon wifi at home, or the wifi at church. It was $79. The things I don't like about it (or would prefer to be upgraded, such as with the Fire) are b/w screen and no touchscreen (or, keypad is a little awkward). It really was a great buy for the price, and lots of books can be downloaded free, either from Amazon, or out-of-copyright classics from Project Gutenberg. I enjoy playing the free games on it, too.

I'm subscribing to the topic to see what others have to say about the Fire before I do jump in and buy...

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I got my Kindle Fire last night... am loving it!
    BUT! When i log online with it... like the BYC page.. its SOOOOOO super small writing... like can barely read it small..
    Is it just me or what??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by