Checklist for Chick Inspection?

deborahca

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 27, 2013
High Desert Southern California
I got my chicks yesterday from a local feed store. They are just under a week old. Right now I have them in the garage in a plastic tub on a shredded paper litter. My husband wasn't keen on having them in the house, and this is a mild climate, so I think they will be OK out there. I'm using the paper litter because I had it on hand from another use, I plan to switch to shavings when I've used it up. So far they are doing OK with it, not soaking it too much. In a couple of weeks I know I'll probably need to make a bigger brooder with cardboard boxes or something.

So far they are eating and drinking and seem fine. I think the temp is OK. Sometimes they pile up, but most of the time they are spread around the brooder.

I check on them several times a day. I look to see the water and food are full and clean. I've been picking them up once or twice a day and giving them a lookover, but I'm not sure exactly what should I be looking for, to make sure that if something is wrong I catch it early. They aren't vaccinated, were on medicated water while at the feed store, and are on nothing medicated now per the feed store's recommendation. I've heard of pasty butt, but I'm not sure I'd recognize it if I saw it. I stared at their little butts and didn't see anything that looked like a blockage, but I'm not sure how obvious the condition is. Every time one goes to sleep I get paranoid! LOL.

Do you have a mental "checklist" you run through with new chicks?

Here is a picture of them from yesterday. I have two Araucanas, one Barred Rock and one Rhode Island Red.

No checklist, I just look for anything different or off and go from there. Pasty butt is pretty hard to miss if you glance at or feel their bottoms. It's basically a hard lump of poop caked onto their behinds and blocking their vent.

I remember the feeling! Just spend some time with your chicks every day and you will quickly learn what is normal and what is not. Don't worry too much, problems are not the norm. :)
You're welcome! Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom