Cheddar's Gone Rogue

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi, everybody!

I just got back from 2 weeks on vacation. My adult sons were house sitting. They did a good job taking care of my 2 flocks. They even took my small flock out for daily walks and swim time.

I got back yesterday, and my Call duck, Cheddar, is being extra super aggressive. She's yelling and picking on her flock mates (another Call duck and 2 Polish pullets). She's biting and chasing them.

I am planning to double their run size in order to either divide it and separate her or at least give the others more space (it's currently 40 sq ft).

She's always been assertive, but now she's being a bully. Any advice?

I've never dealt with ducks. I hope this doesn't come up if I get ducks, or I will have the Foxy Wiskered Gentelman's recipe for roast duck (I actually did a story about the foxy wiskeredgentelman if you care to listen).
@Miss Lydia knows???? from what I have heard, she is the official expert :)
Lydia is definitely one of the best!!!
❤️

I think maybe my sons didn't let them out quite as often as they claim. I let them out for a good long walk today, and Cheddar seemed to calm down a lot. She's still more "in your face" than she was a couple of weeks ago, I tell you what... But I wonder if it is just boredom.

I will still double the run, though.

Maybe they did let the ducks out as often as they said, but CHeddar is just reacting to change. CHange can break established behaviors -- I removed a pekin drake from my flock for more than 2 months as he was bullying his clutch mate despite the two beign tightly bonded. He went to my son's flock and my son's drake came to mine. When my drake came back the dynamics had changed and his clutch mate had become more assertive and certainly wasn't going to me excluded from "his" wading pool or "his" food bowl. The two are still tightly bonded but the bullying has ceased. But change can also be disconcerting -- I took three of mine on a road trip this summer and they were great: all friends. The two remaining at home spent a lot of time apparently looking round for the missing ducks. When the three came back, they settled in OK but then two started picking on the third who is now molting. I can't beleive how they were best of friends when away but now being meanie with the one that is molting.

I woudl give Cheddar a few days to adjust!

Maybe they did let the ducks out as often as they said, but CHeddar is just reacting to change. CHange can break established behaviors -- I removed a pekin drake from my flock for more than 2 months as he was bullying his clutch mate despite the two beign tightly bonded. He went to my son's flock and my son's drake came to mine. When my drake came back the dynamics had changed and his clutch mate had become more assertive and certainly wasn't going to me excluded from "his" wading pool or "his" food bowl. The two are still tightly bonded but the bullying has ceased. But change can also be disconcerting -- I took three of mine on a road trip this summer and they were great: all friends. The two remaining at home spent a lot of time apparently looking round for the missing ducks. When the three came back, they settled in OK but then two started picking on the third who is now molting. I can't beleive how they were best of friends when away but now being meanie with the one that is molting.

I woudl give Cheddar a few days to adjust!
That makes sense. The goats, too, are similarly "off" today, though less dramatically.

I really didn't think 2 weeks would make such a big impact, but I guess it did.

Back
Top Bottom