Cheep Cheep from OBX, NC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HennyB, Feb 20, 2017.

1. HennyB

HennyB Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    Currituck, NC
    Hi everyone!

I have been thinking about having chickens for quite a few years now, but then decided not to. Now, I've gotten bitten by the idea again and have been researching, pinning on Pinterest and eyeballing all the chicks available at my local seed and feed. I have an old garden shed that's raised on stilts at the back of our property that I think would convert easily and nicely to a lovely coop, with space for an attached run available also. We live on 5.5 acres, though a good half of that is still wooded and we do have quite a bit of wildlife. We have a large garden and a compost pile that could benefit from the symbiosis of having chickens. I have two children; a 14yr old son and a 10yr old daughter. My daughter is homeschooled and I think the process of learning how to raise chicks and care for the chickens could be beneficial, as well as teaching her how to repurpose and build the coop out of the shed.

I didn't take any pics to attach to my post (jeez!) but I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of questions that could benefit from those with experience.

I would like to have family friendly chickens as well as a colorful egg basket, ranging from blue/green (my favorites!) to the dark chocolate brown of Copper Marans (I think?!).

My biggest concerns for where I live are creepy crawlies (I can't even say the word without getting the heebie jeebies, but I mean things that slither), raccoons, field mice and there is a bear that lives in our acreage which is a large tract of wood sub-divided among 3 other parcels/neighbors, smack in the middle of actively farmed fields. Also, our climate can be rather temperamental, but that's coastal Eastern North Carolina. We are 25 mins from the VA border and 30 mins from Kitty Hawk.

[​IMG]

My husband is worried about the shed being so close to the back of the property where the woods begin, but moving it closer to the house would be difficult since the whole thing was already erected on a stilt platform when we bought our house. Also, I think that with proper safety measures, the chickens would benefit from the shade of the trees in the hot/humid part of our summer.

Any advice you all have will be greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out if it's best to start with chicks and raise them or go with a little bit older chicken that's already got feathers. I'd like to minimize any time spent inside our home because I have a beagle/basset hound that is very protective of her space and likes to chase any small animal she feels is in violation of her area. [​IMG] Olive is spoiled rotten; I'm not sure she'd take kindly to chicks in the house. I did read though, that raising them from the chick stage was the best way to socialize them if you wanted them to be friendly towards the family.

Also, I have to completely empty the shed and figure out how to add ventilation and nesting boxes, how to address roosts and the cleaning of their bedding.

I guess I'm really just a total newbie and am a bit intimidated on how to best start without any calamity! And obviously, I'm still in the planning stage.

Cheers,

Danielle, the Chicken Herder-to-Be!

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Sounds like you have done a lot of planning. Now you just have to take the next step. Go for it you won't regret it.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Hennyb, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Danielle, we must be psychic twins . I am terrified of things that slither but,' shall not be named ' or I might faint. It's great to be able to say that to someone else who completely understands.

The thing about having a chicken coop near the woods, is lots of predators live in the woods. Some hang out/hide in trees like Owls, Hawks, etc. and other big burly things that I think I need not mention.

You may want to check out the coops section to see the many types, sizes, styles there are. Some people re-purpose sheds, or garages, and others find cheap or free coops , sometimes with chickens & food included, on Craig's list. People think they want chickens and then change their mind

The predator threads advise on beefing up coop/run security.. The Learning Center above, is the best place to start a poultry education. Keep calm, BYC has your back!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ps love your avatar

1 person likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Danielle [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  7. HennyB

HennyB Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    Currituck, NC
    Thank you for the warm welcomes!

I'm still researching away; I've learned this morning about Deep Litter Method, have watched a ton of videos on YouTube about different coop builds, etc and jotted down notes about what I like from each. I also learned about bird netting as a effective preventative measure around the base of outdoor runs to deal with creepy crawlies (that S-word is banned from all vocabulary in my hearing range) [​IMG] My favorite tip so far was from a woman who also has a worry about the same type of predator-when she built the door to her nesting boxes, she nestled a secondary door behind the first one that was made of plexiglass. Unlatch the first door and there's still a clear barrier between you and whatever lies behind the glass. Being that I have kids and safety is paramount, I thought that was quite ingenious!

I'm sure none of this is new to you guys, but I am full on into learning mode, so I have been chattering away about all of this for days. LOL!

Sorry for being long winded!

Back to being studious with other things though-I've got to sit and teach math to my daughter.

Cheers and have a wonderful chicken raising day!

~Danielle

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

There's a ton of information here on BYC, glad you're already finding it helpful!

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy, and welcome to the flock! Glad you decided to join us, please make yourself at home here and enjoy BYC! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by