"Cheep" Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RockyPhoenix, Aug 9, 2009.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    I only have about 250 dollars to build a brand new chicken coop how can i do this? I want it to house a flock of about 30 laying hens

2. lalaland

lalaland Crowing

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    scounge! start reading Craigs List free section, if you live in an urban area, drive through around garbage day (old doors, windows, etc free for the taking).

tell everyone you know you are building and need wood, shingles, wire, tools, etc -

consider deconstructing pallets (do a byc search and an internet search) - free wood, a pain to work with though, but...free

be creative - can you reuse a playhouse, shed, lean-to, dog house, etc.

what part of the country are you in? In the south you can get by with less, in the north you need more....

sorry, but 250 wouldn't go far enough to build a very small coop here in Minnesota A couple of years back I built a coop that would house a dozen at best, spent about $500 on wood, scrounged the doors, shingles, windows, hinges, hasps, etc.

good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    okay lalaland thanks i might have more money later but not sure yet hopefully my stepdad will help pay for it......but thanks!!!

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I bought a 8x10 shed in excellent condition for 50.00, everyone needs money right now, so do some searching.

However, at 4 sq ft per bird, I could only house 20. You can figure one nesting box with suffice for 4-5 hens. I like to give at least 10 sq ft per bird if possible.

Lots of free stuff on craigslist, and some wood selling for pretty cheap.

5. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    Quote:ok ill check it out!! thanks for the help!!

6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    We have a 10X10X6 dog kennel that we tarped around for our chickens/peafowl. We did buy a 8X10 metal shed for $50 that we are going to put up and then use the kennel for a run. We have 18 in there and they have plenty of room for roosting etc. During the day we usually free range them so they get plenty of exercise. [​IMG] You could do something similar until you either can scrounge up supplies or can set aside enough money to buy something bigger.
    Just a suggestion! I'm all for getting by for next to nothing. [​IMG]

7. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    i built my coop for less then $50, just keep on eye on freecycle.org for stuff,crieglist is a good place too

8. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    You can post a wantd ad on freecycle or C.L. Tell them what you want and need for a coop. You would be surprised at how many people actually reply. [​IMG]

9. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    ok mamma thnkks!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: