1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CHEEP toy for chicks!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by t/m, Aug 11, 2011.

1. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Well first I gave them (I have 6) Q-tips as they were trying to steal them from me while I worked on a pasty butt, but you guessed it,
    they started pulling the cotton off the tip and I didn't think that was in a 4 day olds diet. So I got a plastic DRINKING STRAW,
    cut it into 6 pieces and they love it!! At first they stayed clear of the area where I dropped them in and then when one got a hold
    of it, the chase was on! Their favorite piece is the one that has the "bendie" section. They grab it, it pops out or one runs with it...
    they're nuts! If you don't have straws, visit your local fast food joint and 'borrow' one! Next I'll try different colors! The Q-tips were fun
    'till I removed them... mini barbells! I might remove the cotton from the ends and give 'em back.
    Any other toy ideas?

(edited for spelling error!)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I give my green cheeks plastic straws tied in a bundle with a zip tie and attached to the cage. They love to chew on them.
    Too funny, I will give my chicks some too. Thanks for the idea.

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I filled a cookie tray full of gravel and dirt and put it in a corner of my chicky-playpen and they really enjoyed scratching in it and taking dirt-baths. If the tray was positioned were the sun was shining onto it, they'd also pile into it for sunbaths.

4. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    mine have a parrot mirror with a bell on the bottom. They actually whack at the bell with their beaks to make it ring sometimes, though they ignore the mirror.

5. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave mine really big pom pom balls. They love it! They really look like they are playing football, running around chasing and snatching it from each other! So cute. [​IMG]

6. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:Oh my goodness, do you make these out of yarn? That sounds like it would be an awesome video. lol

7. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

Lil'ChickFarm :

Quote:Oh my goodness, do you make these out of yarn? That sounds like it would be an awesome video. lol

No, I have made them out of yarn but not for the chicks [​IMG]. These are just really big pom pom balls for kids activities. They don't really pull apart easily which is nice so you don't have to worry about chicks eating strings. After they are done, I just take it out of the pen so they will have something "new" to play with another time. I think it's good to give chicks things to play with during supervised time. [​IMG]

8. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:What a good idea, I have a bunch in my craft box--I haven't done crafting in awhile, so now i guess I'll give some pom poms to the chickens.[​IMG]

9. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:yeah, I would be worried about the cotton coming off and getting stuck in their throats.

10. spaceranger

spaceranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    I have a few kitten toys like little balls with bells in middle that they'll chase and peck at it's sooo cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by