Cheers from RI!

katbaker

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
Cumberland, RI
Hello everyone! I'm from Cumberland, RI and my husband, 2 daughters and I just got 12 baby chicks this past Sunday! We have been wanting chickens for a while, but it was never the right time until now. We're starting a small personal farm called Baker's Hollow and these little chicks are the beginnings of that. I grew up around chickens and farms, but never actually raised chickens myself - so I am very new to all of this! My parents, other family members and a few friends have chickens so I have a good network around me, but will always appreciate feedback and advice from this community - that's why I'm here.

Here's the brooding box that the chicks are currently living in. (It was originally used as a whelping box for my in-law's golden retriever, but now it works perfect for the chicks)

Both our girls (9 & 11) love playing with the chicks. We handle them regularly in hopes that they'll become more accustomed to us and not fearful of close interactions.

We have a total of 12 chicks: 3 straight run Bantam Silkies, 4 Black Sexlinks, 4 New Hampshire Reds, and 1 straight run Buff Orpington. We originally only wanted 8 chicks, but the place we purchased them had a 12 chick minimum. I'm guessing we'll get a few roosters from the straight run chicks, but we'll see what happens!

This is one of the Bantam Silkies we've named "'Lil Ruckus" because she likes to run around the brooding box VERY vigorously kicking up pine shavings, but them seems perfectly fine being handled too.

Being a chicken-mom is very fun and I look forward to all the adventures we're going to have here at Baker's Hollow Farm!

Greetings from Kansas, katbaker, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Looks like you have a happy assembly of chicks and a couple of happy children there as well! Should you have any questions regarding your flock, please don't hesitate to ask - BYC is a friendly group!!! And if you want to do a little research, the Learning Center is packed with informative articles you might find useful as your chicks grow: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
And should you want to chat with some fellow RI poultry folks, find your state thread in the link below and say howdy:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

Welcome. .....to BYC and the wonderful world of chicken keeping! This is such a fabulous hobby for the whole family to be involved in, love seeing the picture of your kiddos getting to know their new friends. So glad you have joined us!

welcome-byc.gif

Nice introduction, thanks for sharing the photos!

Best of luck with your new little ones and make yourself at home here.

Hi and welcome to BYC - good luck with your new little flock - it's gonna be fun!

G’Day from down under katbaker
frow.gif
Welcome!

Aaaw, too cute!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom