Cheers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tambella, Mar 6, 2014.

1. tambella

tambella New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Hello! My name is Tamara and I live in Southern Oregon in the beautiful Applegate area.I finally got baby chicks yesterday. I am so excited. I have wanted chickens for quite some time and it has finally come to fruition. I got six babies yesterday and plan to get six more next week. So far I have three Rhode Island Reds and three Black Sex Link. I plan to get a couple more breeds next week at the Grange. I want Americana's and possibly Cochin and Silkies. I am looking forward to seeing their personalities and enjoying my free range flock!

Any advice about free range flocks would be appreciated. I live in the woods on hillside. I am also thinking about starting a compost in the same area.

Thanks!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. You should get lots of eggs from those Rhode Island Reds and Sex-links. Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers are great birds to have-- they lay plenty of pretty eggs too! Good luck with your chicken adventures!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new babies! I can't free range my girls due to all the predators. You can lose some to predation when you free range.

Welcome to BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Tamara, welcome to BYC. Free ranging is great, but understand that eventually you will have predator problems. A well fortified pen will be needed at times.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by