Cheese Bread and a Chicken Coop - updated with pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MissCluck, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Made a HUGE loaf of cheese and onion bread today: Yummy!
    [​IMG] I can eat it while I celebrate my first step towards chickens!

I took a chance and ordered this coop kit.
    http://www.wholesalechickencoops.com/hss05 chicken coop.html

I weighed the pros and cons and if all I have to do is put it together I should be OK. [​IMG] Price was comparable to other kits and since it included a run it meant a lot.

Day 1 - it's arrived! Here is my little helper with the coop pieces - stacked in my back office. It's going to be cute! It's pine - so I knew it wasn't going to be all that sturdy. Shipping did bang it up a bit, which I expected. I'm going to have to put a few touch ups with wood glue. The first step will be staining it! It has a light stain on it but I definately want it to have a stronger stain.

[​IMG]

The base coop area has rubber "feet" - that's good. I'm planning on adding some general predator protection around the base of the run area and probably some insulation on the inside of the roof, at least.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Gosh! I checked out their site and it seems very reasonable. Hope you enjoy your new chicken obsession...oh, sorry...I mean...HOBBY. [​IMG]

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    That's coop is that little area the only run they will get?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    okay..need the recipe for the bread....and thats a cute coop! [​IMG]

5. MissCluck

Quote:I hope not [​IMG] I'm going to try to build a large extension. [​IMG]

6. MissCluck

Coop is now stained once and out in the backyard partially completed!

Here is my helper and the coop when I started putting it together.
    [​IMG]

Here is the nest box going on

[​IMG]

Here is the run-in section almost complete. It has a roof over the little shed area and a folding fence over the "run" area. I'm going to make a larger run to go around the entire thing once I get it finished. I should be able to move these sections like a tractor.

[​IMG]

I'm rather pleased with the look of it - construction-wise this coop is somewhat flimsy...some bad construction at the factory and some shipping damage. I've been able to work with the defects.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Adorable! [​IMG] What breed of chickens have you chosen to grace this pretty little complex?

Congrats!

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yummy looking bread, cute dog and nice little coop! You are getting a lot done at your house. [​IMG]

9. MissCluck

I'm hoping for about four chickens...maybe three. I'm going to ask the advice of the Natureberry Farm people in Macedon, NY about what breed will be best for egg laying, cold weather hardiness and the (ahem) pet factor...since I KNOW that's what will happen.

I'd love some golden-laced Wyandottes.[​IMG]

10. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    Wow, that is sooo cute! I like your little helper too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by