Cheese Cake? Did The Dirty <<<PIC!>>>

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Birch Run Farm, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Anyone got a good recipe they can share? I'm in the mood for a thick slice. I saved some wild strawberries from last June as emergency cabin fever food. The time is NOW.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Check out the recipe index I'm sure you can search a lovely cheesecake recipe.....boy I could go for that too and a hot cup of tea.

3. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    1 1 crumb-crust recipe, made with finely ground graham crackers
    5 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    Finely grated zest of 1 orange
    Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
    5 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 550°F.

Beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour, and zests with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs and yolks, 1 at a time, then vanilla, beating on low speed until each ingredient is incorporated and scraping down bowl between additions.

Put springform pan with crust in a shallow baking pan. Pour filling into crust (springform pan will be completely full) and bake in baking pan (to catch drips) in middle of oven 12 minutes, or until puffed. Reduce temperature to 200°F and continue baking until cake is mostly firm (center will still be slightly wobbly when pan is gently shaken), about 1 hour more.

Run a knife around top edge of cake to loosen and cool completely in springform pan on a rack. Chill cake, loosely covered, at least 6 hours. Remove side of pan and transfer cake to a plate. Bring to room temperature before serving.

· Cheesecake keeps, covered and chilled, 2 weeks. We make this for birthdays and it never lasts two weeks!.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    whipped or baked cheesecake?

5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    It's only cheese cake if it is baked. You know, the high density kind that sticks to you forever.

I am hitting the grocery store tomorrow for ingredients.

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    BTW- Did you eat that thing?

[​IMG]

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Recipe will be posted shortly [​IMG]

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    This is my favorite cheesecake recipe in the entire world. It is from a cookbook called "Cookwise" by Shirley Corriher. It makes the creamiest cheese cake I've ever eaten.

You can use any kind of crust for this, but I'll include the one with the recipe. I like a gingersnap crust myself.

Crust
    14 chocolate wafers
    3 Tbsp sugar
    3 Tbsp butter (melted)
    nonstick cooking spray

Filling
    2 pkgs (8 oz. each) cream cheese
    1 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    2 tsps vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 amaretto
    3 cups sour cream

1. Crush the cholocate wafer in a plastic bag, or process in a food processer. Stir together the wafers, sugar and butter in a medium mixing bowl. Line the bottom of a 8 x 3 inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Spray the line pan with nonstick cooking spray and press in crumb crust.
    2. Preheat oven to 350
    3. Blend the cream cheese and sugar well in a food processer or large mixing bowl. Beat until completely lump free. Add the eggs, one at a time and blend well after each addition. Add the vanilla, salt and amaretto. Blend well. Blend in the sour cream. Pour into the prepared pan.
    4. Prepare a water bath. Fold a terry-cloth towel and place in the bottom of a roasting pan at least one inch larger on all side than the cake pan. Place the cake pan on the towel in the larger pan.
    5. Pull the middle oven shelf out slightly. Place the pan on the shelf. Carefully pour enough nearly boiling water into the pan to come at least one inch up the side of the cake pan. Bake the cheese cake for 45 minutes. Do not open the oven. Turn off the oven and leave the cheese cake in for one hour more. The cheese cake will not look done, and a 3-inch ring in the center will still wiggle. Don't worry. Remove it from the oven and refrigerate overnight.
    6. Since the cheesecake is in a cake pan you have to invert it twice. Cover a baking sheet with plastic wrap, and set aside. Turen a burner on low and place the cheese cake pan on the burner to heat the bottom of the pan for just seconds for easy removal. Run a knife around the edges and jar the pan on one side. Place the baking sheet on top of the cheesecak and invert. Peel off the parchment. Place serving plate on the bottom and invert again. Refrigerate.
    7. Serve.

This is wonderful as is, or with fruit or with almonds pressed into the sides, or any other way. If you prefer it lemon flavered, omit the amaretto and add 3 tbps lemon juice.

The water bath makes this a bit putzy, but it is well worth the trouble.

edited for all the typos

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I loooove cheesecake... nice rich thick cheesecake... MMMMMMM [​IMG] I'm hungry now!

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:nope. they give me heartburn. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by