Cheesecloth?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I am ready to make my own cheese! I am going to start with basic vinegar cheese since that appears to be really easy. I read somewhere that it's not the best thing to use the cheesecloth that you can get at the grocery store, that there is better cheesecloth out there. Is this true, or can I use whatever cheesecloth I can get my hands on?

I'm not an expert at cheese making, but I will share my experience.
In the beginning of my cheese adventures, I read all about it from the author Mary Jane Toth. She uses goat milk, but cow milk works in her recipes, too.
Anyway, she says she uses old pillowcases. I use 100% cotton white flour sack type towels that I keep just for milk and cheese. They work fine for me and they are easy to wash and disinfect.

The cheesecloth that is sold in grocery stores in little bags does not work - at least I don't think it does.

Good luck! I have peanut butter brownies cooling that I made using some of the vinegar cheese. My DD had a piece while hot and said they were really good.

Sorry to ramble.......probably way more than you wanted to know.LOL

prairiegirl

Quote:
I use the cloth diapers, the good old fashioned kind. They are sturdy and work really well.

Quote:
I also use the old style cotton cloth diapers. I bought them new
wink.png
& only wash them in the kitchen sink with a little dishwashing liquid (nothing I wouldn't clean my regular food dishes with). & let it dry handing from a hanger on my kitchen cupboard door. After it's dry I store it in my kitchen in a ziplock freezer bag, for cleanliness.

I thought this brownie recipe would be a good way to use up some cheese. The vinegar cheese seems to lend itself well to many uses, cream cheese being one of them. I just add a bit of milk to make it creamier or in the case of this recipe, more milk. I think I would also add an extra egg to the peanut butter batter.

Peanut Butter Brownies
Brownie:
3 eggs (I used 1 duck, 1 banty, 1 chicken)
1 cup butter, melted (I used home made)
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Filling:
2 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened (I used 2 cups vinegar cheese)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg (I would use 2)
2 Tab. milk (I used about 1/4 adding a bit at a time)

In a large bowl combine eggs, butter, vanilla and mix well. Add cocoa and mix. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk. Add to wet mixture and blend well. Reserve one cup for top and spread remaining brownie batter into a greased 9X13 pan.
Make filling. I put all ingredients into a blender and blended until smooth. I will use a food processor next time. Spread filling over brownie batter. Using reserved 1 cup brownie batter, drop by spoonfuls onto peanut butter batter. Swirl with a knife.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.
Store in refrigerator.

potterwatch, how did your cheese turn out? Please share how you used it.

prairiegirl

Back
Top Bottom