Cheesy eye

blondy6

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
My game hen has a yellow cheesy core right in the middle of her eye. She did have nasal discharge and the Tylan 50 cleared it all up, her appetite is good, other eye is clear also. I tried vermycin for days thinking it was eye worm...but nothing. I used a tissue and q tip and have removed the tip of it twice and its is like a rubbery film substance. It looks like it is all the way through the middle of the eye (Cheesy core). I looked up cataract pics of chickens and I have not been able to find anything that looked like what my Hen has. Help!

This sounds like pus that has solidified. Sometimes the eye is gone after removing this, according to what some have written. It sounds like you are dealing with coryza or a very bad case of mycoplasma G. Is there a bad smell from the head area? If so you might want to treat with sulfadimethoxine. If not you should treat with Tylan50 injections for 3-5 days. Here is some info: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza and the medicine for coryza: http://www.jefferspet.com/di-methox-soluble/camid/LIV/cp/A2-DA/

Thanks! I will start the Tylan 50 injections again, I had stopped giving them when her respiratory cleared up.....I checked tractor supply for the
sulfadimethoxine and I couldn't find it, is it for chickens or under a different name? I looked in the horse, goat and swine meds too, no luck.

Thanks for the site, since I couldn't locate it at Tractor Supply I ordered it off the site you shared. Will this sulfur powder cause the cheese looking core to come out? It looks awful in the middle of her eye, I thought it was a worm! Other than that she seems healthy, other eye is very clear. No nasal drainage or anything. I will give her some more tylan 50 injections until the powder comes in.

I put a pic of the other eye to show how good it looks. This is in the very center of her eye-cheese like core.....I took a q tip and got the tip off of it 2x within a week only because the tip was raised, the rest is inserted in the middle of Iris.

Thank you this is what I ordered. Do you recommend I continue with the Tylan 50 injections until it arrives? I picked this Hen up with 3 other Hens and a rooster that had been dropped off in a wooded area about 2 weeks ago....two of the other Hens were sick, which is why I think someone got rid of them, but I didn't want to see them get killed by something, I brought them home...gave the sick hens the Tylan 50, the other hen is better.....this one cleared up except for this eye. I am puzzled on how to get this out of her eye. I segregated the sick hens from the others and they are fine so far.

Looks like the eye is infected and not salvageable. I had a few of those during my pox outbreak, all lost their eyes.

-Kathy

What do I do? I don't kill any of my chickens by the way. Will this kill her or will meds help, she still has one good eye. Quality of life??

Back
Top Bottom