Cheesy substance in ear canal of silkie roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelar, Jun 23, 2010.

1. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I've just bathed one of my silkie roos and found he had a cheesy plug of material in one of his ear canals. The other ear was fine. He's had some mites on his crest (hence the bath) & know they can cause irritation around the ears, but this was quite a bit of cheesy gunk literally blocking his ear canal. I've cleaned it all out, but wonder if someone knows if there is something I should put in the ear now. I have dog ear treatment drops, powder & cleaner here - should or can this be used on a chicken ear? Thanks for any help.

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I can't get you much of an answer, but I'll just let you know what I would do. [​IMG] If the ear doesn't seem to be bothering him (if he scratches at it, it could be bothering him), I'd give it a little time and see if it comes back. If it does come back or if he seems bothered by his ear, then I'd start looking up problems that can happen with chickens' ears and what would be safe to put in the ear via a search engine.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea on this--I haven't run into this sort of issue before! Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by