Chef, Skitz15k

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Skitz, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Hello BYC! I love cooking/baking and I wanted to share some recipes with you all so I decided to start a thread and post the recipes that I've done and are tasty certified! XD
    This is my last year of high school and I had to think about what I wanted to be and well a chef wouldn't be that bad since I like cooking [​IMG]
    I like cooking so much that I make so many things in a day that there's no way to eat them all lol especially since we're a small family
    By the way, I re-name every recipe so don't be weirded out at the names lol I usually just add a "k" at the end of it 'cause it's my favorite letter and I will add two
    "k's" if I came up with part of the recipe.

My blog http://chefskitz.blogspot.com
    I only have two posts on there since I barely made it last night.

P.S. I will be posting one recipe a day [​IMG]

Recipes-

Bananak (Banana Bread). Added 7.30.11

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Recently (last night) I made a banana bread which I call "Bananak". I would rate that recipe an 8 out of 10 because I liked it! especially with hot cocoa (or coffee)
    you can check my blog, http://chefskitz.blogspot.com , for pics on how I was making my bananak or simply click here to go straight to the recipe. I barely started the
    blog yesterday so there's only two posts; a greeting one and the recipe for the bananak.

Bananak-

Nutritional info:
    It's Skitzo tasty certified
    The whole bread has approximately 3789 calories
    Cut it into 15 pieces and each piece has approximately 250 calories. Thats 150 less calories than the banana muffin I ate the other day about the same size.

Ingredients:
    4 large ripe bananas or 6 small.
    2 cups of all purpose flour (I used Golds all purpose flour, but any brand will do)
    1 tsp of baking soda
    1/2 tsp of baking powder
    1/2 cup of soften butter (its usually a whole bar)
    1 1/2 cups of sugar
    1/2 tsp of salt
    2 eggs
    1 tsp of vanilla extract
    4 tablespoons of sour cream (the secret ingredient that makes them moist!)
    OPTIONAL
    1/2 cup of pecan/walnuts or you can add as many as you want

Instructions:

1.) Preheat over to 350 degrees.

2.) Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl (bowl A).

3.) Then in a different/mixing bowl (bowl B) cream the butter, sugar, and salt with a batter on low. It'll look all bumpy when it's ready.

4.) Then you add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract to bowl B and mix them again with the batter.

5.) Then you add the dry ingredients that are in bowl A to bowl B and mix them together really well.

6.) Then you mash the bananas in a different bowl (I used the same one where the dry ingredients were, bowl A)
    then after they look kinda watery you add them to bowl B and you mix them together with the batter really well.

7.) If you're going to add some kind of nuts then this is the perfect time to do so.

8.) Let it sit for 5 minutes (you can be putting up all the ingredients back to their places, washing the measuring cups, etc..,).

9.) Coat your bundt/tray with cooking spray or grease it with butter and add your mixture.

10.) Place it in a preheated, 350 oven for about an hour (mine was ready in about 40 minutes so check it frequently with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, its done!)

11.) Take it out of the oven after about an hour and cut it into 15 pieces and let it sit for a while so it cools off. I think it has a better taste when it's warm/cold than hot. Personal opinion I guess.

OPTIONAL
    Serve with hot cocoa/chocolate, coffee, or simply milk.

Then the final product should look like this -

[​IMG]

remember, if you're a person that makes things better when they see pictures then you can click here to go to my blog where the bananak recipe is and there's pictures in there.

Enjoy! [​IMG]

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Skitz,

Welcome to BYC !!!

I'm a lot older than you, not that that makes me any wiser, but I've been thru the chef school be a chef thing and let me give you some golden advice.
    Concentrate on your education, I mean a college education. Work part time while in college (if you can keep your grades UP) in a restaurant - they'll likely start you off as a bus boy or maybe a waiter if you're tall. Eventually if you show an interest in the kitchen they'll give you light prep work to do : peeling potatoes, cutting vegetables, peeling garlic, cutting up buckets of onions - to see if you can build up reliable knife skills. If you do the front of the house well and use your slack time to work in the back of the house you might get a line job later. Doing all this you will avoid spending $40,000.00 on a chef school degree that will teach you a lot about cooking and culinary history and all that (what I got at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco)...

I found out the hard way as much as I cooked and LOVE to cook that restaurant work was DOG WORK, entry level work. IF you instead concentrate on a good education and get a degree you can line yourself up with an office job in a company that not only pays a LOT MORE than any restaurant ever will, but you'll get a benefits plan, weekends and nights off and you'll have a chance to save money to buy a house and give some lucky woman the security they all are looking for and deserve (if you are a lady it's good to have your own safety net going). And while you're going to college to get that degree you can work in restaurants and decide if you can stand it. Most kids I know that went this route quickly realize the opportunities are very limited. The big breaks only come to a very small group of people (like trying to break into the music or film industry and become a big star). Get a good job and keep it. With the extra money you make working in an office you can afford to buy all the cool kitchen stuff you want, learn to do cool things like roast your own coffees, make your own breads and baked goods and still have the dough to go out to eat - to see the restaurant world as a customer, not as some poor kid schlepping thru life trying to keep their head above water and barely making the bills.

It's NOT glamorous work....

I know you're thinking: man this guy BigMike is a loudmouth that's really messing up my head. Well I did it so take some friendly advice. Talk to your folks - get a job down at the local pizza parlor or Sizzler and see what it's really like.
    I'm dying to see your recipes - if you ever have any questions or want recipes let me know, I got more stuff and love to share cooking with everyone.

Good Luck

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Whenever I post a recipe, please refresh the page several times or just wait a bit because sometimes there's typos and I want to correct them [​IMG]

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    bigmike&nan :

Skitz,

Welcome to BYC !!!

I'm a lot older than you, not that that makes me any wiser, but I've been thru the chef school be a chef thing and let me give you some golden advice.
    Concentrate on your education, I mean a college education. Work part time while in college (if you can keep your grades UP) in a restaurant - they'll likely start you off as a bus boy or maybe a waiter if you're tall. Eventually if you show an interest in the kitchen they'll give you light prep work to do : peeling potatoes, cutting vegetables, peeling garlic, cutting up buckets of onions - to see if you can build up reliable knife skills. If you do the front of the house well and use your slack time to work in the back of the house you might get a line job later. Doing all this you will avoid spending $40,000.00 on a chef school degree that will teach you a lot about cooking and culinary history and all that (what I got at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco)...

I found out the hard way as much as I cooked and LOVE to cook that restaurant work was DOG WORK, entry level work. IF you instead concentrate on a good education and get a degree you can line yourself up with an office job in a company that not only pays a LOT MORE than any restaurant ever will, but you'll get a benefits plan, weekends and nights off and you'll have a chance to save money to buy a house and give some lucky woman the security they all are looking for and deserve (if you are a lady it's good to have your own safety net going). And while you're going to college to get that degree you can work in restaurants and decide if you can stand it. Most kids I know that went this route quickly realize the opportunities are very limited. The big breaks only come to a very small group of people (like trying to break into the music or film industry and become a big star). Get a good job and keep it. With the extra money you make working in an office you can afford to buy all the cool kitchen stuff you want, learn to do cool things like roast your own coffees, make your own breads and baked goods and still have the dough to go out to eat - to see the restaurant world as a customer, not as some poor kid schlepping thru life trying to keep their head above water and barely making the bills.

It's NOT glamorous work....

I know you're thinking: man this guy BigMike is a loudmouth that's really messing up my head. Well I did it so take some friendly advice. Talk to your folks - get a job down at the local pizza parlor or Sizzler and see what it's really like.
    I'm dying to see your recipes - if you ever have any questions or want recipes let me know, I got more stuff and love to share cooking with everyone.

Good Luck

Thank you for commenting and I completely understand you. Actually, I'm debating whether to be a chef or work in the music industry (Music Production). I love music as much as I love cooking, but I still haven't made up my mind completely yet. At first I was leaning more to being a producer, but then cooking out of nowhere attacked me. But later on I will be doing lots of research to see what's the best thing to go for. Right now I know nothing about those two careers, literally. But like I said I will research about them and see what's best for me [​IMG] Thanks a lot for your advice!​

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Reading your post and making my comments made me think of this OLD song, hope you like it

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    bigmike&nan :

Reading your post and making my comments made me think of this OLD song, hope you like it

haha he sings exactly what I just said XD haha well not exactly, but you get my point.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by