Chehalis, WA looking for Salmon Faverolles

PuffAndFluff

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Chehalis, WA
Hello! Hubby and I are finally getting our chicken coop set up and have some baby peeps in the house already, but I want some Salmon Faverolles so bad I am about to bust. I just love how puffy they are! :) Anyway, I am looking for either chicks, hatching eggs or a young pair that will have their own little family.

I also am on the lookout for an Embden, Pilgrim or Toulouse gosling. I have two Chinese White's already, a boy and a girl. They are just about 3 weeks old. Very cute. I named them Xiexie and Ni Hao, that's the only Chinese I know besides Kung Pao.

I live in McCleary and have some Salmon Faverolles hatching at the end of the month. She has some other eggs under her though too. I am pretty sure that I can figure out which ones are purebred if you want. I just had five americauna/faverolles hatch last weekend. So cute with thier little beards and fluffy ears and five toes!! I am going to try to separate the Faverolles next month and incubate purebreed babies this summer for sure.... I didnt realize how rare they were so I guess I should start breeding!! I bought mine from a german woman last spring as two month olds.... and they are my favorites!! My daughter is showing the rooster and hens through FFA as breeding stock this summer! And thier names are Hef and the Playmates...lol

These are the Americauna/Faverolles. The hen was the Americauna.

My Salmon Faverolles (one hen is on the nest now hatching begins on Mar 25)

Oh they are so cute! I wonder what the Salmon/Ameracauna's will look like when they grow up? Have you ever seen that mix before? I probably should just google it, lol. The Faverolles just make me smile! The roosters are gorgeous birds, and the hens are beautiful. Yes, please if you can figure out which are purebred, I would definitely want them! Will you vaccinate against Marek's when they hatch? My chicks I have now I bought at the Farm Store in Chehalis, so of course they have been inoculated. My Mom never worried about vaccinating any of the chickens when I was a kid, and we didn't worry about it after we hatched ours in Oklahoma, but I am thinking that I should stay on the side of caution.

Thanks for answering my post!

Mary

I have never seen the mix before so I wantedto try it. I am thinking the Americauna/Faverolle should make some very cute chickens! The babies all have five toes... the fluffy faces, and one of them has feathering on the feet. Mama lays green eggs. So its easy for me to pick out her eggs to hatch. I think the two breeds will compliment each other. I dont vaccinate, but I do feed Medicated Chick starter and worm my birds. I have had no problems because I constantly clean thier house, hose out thier pen weekly. And they free range on my acreage which we dont use any chemicals on. Very healthy chickens!! They were kept with a heat lamp in thier house all winter also.

Okay, I've just read all this conflicting info about mixing a flock of vaccinated birds with unvaccinated and it is so confusing. I just know I don't want to invest in a flock and then have problems down the line if indeed it does turn out that a Mark's vaccinated chick can spread the disease to unvaccinated birds. Do you have any experience with this issue at all? I have always felt the same as you, keep things super clean, let the birds run around and eat things that are good for them, feed them healthy things and you should have a healthy flock, but I also vaccinate my kids lol, so I am a little conflicted.

Most of my adult flock that came from hatcheries was vaccinated. I dont personally do it to mine chicks though. I have never had a problem and I am not super comfortable with giving the vaccination myself and dont really make enough income to have someone else do it for me... I am doing my own small farm with only 20 adult chickens at a time. Many of the birds I got for just eggs and ornamental purposes but after having several people ask me to breed some I am doing it on a small seasonal basis. Last year I had 25 guinea keets with only a loss of one in a water dish it found outside. I also raised a dozen pekin ducklings and all survived and went to thier new homes at 4 months. So far, I have 6 Austorlorps, 3 Sexlinks, 6 Bantams, and my new 5 Americauna/Faverolles... All are doing well and getting ready to sell the Bantams as they are 2 months old now. Very healthy. I know a lot of old school folks that dont believe in vaccinating. But I wont buy birds that are not well kept, look healty etc. I always keep mine separated for a month before mixing with my main flock to be sure they are healthy and give antibiotics in thier water when they first arrive just to be sure....

I did read that the babies tend to have immunity passed down from Mom. :) I am not too worried about it, just want to be careful like you say.

You are lucky to be in Gray's Harbor. We are heading out that way to clam this weekend, probably both Saturday and Sunday.

They just started hatching today. They are fine with the mama until next week. No problem. I like to give them that little extra head start. My Salmon Faverolle/Americaunas are doing awesome!! Cant wait to see what they look like all grown. They are huge!! And fluffy!! I thnk I will be getting some more SF and Americaunas and weeding out some of my others and focus on breeding just those two. I have bantys for looks and brooding of course! I will go out later today and get some pics of my SF chicks. The first one that hatched is mostly black and has feathering on its feet and fluffly face. I do have some SF eggs in my incubator which will be hatching next month. Since the one hen who is hatching now is a SF I am not sure how many of her own eggs were under her and I have been trying to catch the other one in the nest box so I would know which ones are SF. I need to sell my Wyndottes because thier eggs look alike.

Back
Top Bottom