Chemical castration of randy drake...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CaptainQwak, Aug 1, 2013.

1. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    So Captain Nemo went in for a Suprelorin implant today... he was abusing me terribly and I couldn't take it anymore! All drakes are sexually aggressive when young, but Nemo is coming up on two years and was getting worse, not better. Given that we don't have any females (nor room for more ducks) I was the primary target of his affections and was always covered in bruises. Figured this was a better option then rehoming or culling, though I did threaten him with that many, many times! Very interested to see how it will affect his behavior.

Has anyone else had this done for their drakes?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Will you explain exactly what Suprelorin is CQ? thanks.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have no idea what that is, i wasn't aware of anyway to adjust a drakes hormones and am surprised you found a vet who would even try. Curious on an update on this one.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Indeed CQ... Never heard of such

5. Shikoba70

Shikoba70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    hi would be interesting to see how you go , I tried it with my drake and it turned him into a lamb for a month but then he was back to normal. I found that the only way to go was to increase his females. I am a vet nurse so am familiar with the implant for dogs and ferrets and have heard of good results in roosters but it didnt last long with my drake

6. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    CaptainQwak, did it work? I'm very curious. [​IMG]

7. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just realized that I never updated this thread... sorry for the radio silence.

It was an interesting experience. A few days after the implant we noticed a definite change in his behavior, he became much more docile and started nesting in the lavender by the pool. It was totally hilarious. His father, our older drake, did not know what to make of it and was visibly flummoxed... he would look at Nemo funny and stand nearby while he nested. Was totally acting like a hen. This went on for a few weeks, then it wore off and he went right back to his bad self. A few times I saw the older drake biting at the area where the implant was inserted (on Nemo's back, between the wings) and wondered if he knew something was wrong and/or was trying to get it out. Maybe he did. I really wished it had worked because the young drake has been injured a few times since owing to his annoying behavior (see earlier thread). I've had a female duck brought over for a "date" before, but he totally ignored her. Maybe I should try again. I know he probably just needs to get laid. The vet thinks he is imprinted on me and that nothing will help. I'm skeptical of this theory as I am much more affectionate with the older drake -- cuddling and kissing him constantly -- and he doesn't try to rape my feet. Then again, he had a mate for a few glorious months. Anyway. Not sure what to do now. Can't rehome him as I don't want to risk him reproducing... stupidity like this needs to stay out of the gene pool. I keep waiting for him to chill out with age, but he might not last much longer! Poor thing.

Here is a link for Suprelorin:

http://www.virbac.co.uk/product.aspx?pid=195&product=68&#page=page-BRAND

It is usually prescribed for dogs, but (as others have mentioned) it has successfully treated aggressive roosters. I figured it was worth a shot.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  8. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    This is pretty cool..... do you know the dosage?? Sounds like it might have been a bit high. I have a friend dealing with a drake in her home right now (a serious club foot she rescued off the street mallard x muscovy)

any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Madena

9. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

The problem with chemical (or otherwise) castration at an age beyond sexual maturity is that all it does is reduce or eliminate the ability to produce viable sperm (or any sperm at all). The sexual urge/drive is still there and, for some mammals, the ability to achieve an erection and ultimately penetration is still there because that is a reaction to blood flow. While chemical castration may be effective to varying degrees in mammals I would question its long term success in other species such as birds simply because the physiology is not the same. Anyway, drakes, ganders, roosters, males of all breeds and species, will attempt to mate with whatever they can when the urge strikes.

1 person likes this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good info!

Quote:
    -Kathy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by