Chemical free deodorizer for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dg14, Mar 13, 2015.

1. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    Good afternoon everyone

So i just moved my coop about 5 feet because it was getting bare and i wanted my girls to have some grass to eat. anyways when i moved it a sworm of flies went where the coop was and the smell wasnt great smelling.. lol i know its crap but im worried about flies going after them now. im not asking for a fly spray for my chickens but a deodorizor that isnt harsh or maybe even a home made solution to put over the place they were or will that smell go away on its own? thanks for the help in advance!

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Throw some deep straw over it. It will slowly break down and lessen the "heat" of pure chicken waste.

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I would use a hose to disperse the built up manure into the surrounding vegetation. The now liquid ammonia will trickle into the ground and get absorbed quickly by the plant roots.

If there are big clumps or it's all dry, spray with a dilute solution of dishsoap, let is sit for a few minutes and then blast it with the hose.

Or, you could let the flies come and lay all their eggs there and when you see maggots in the manure, move the run back over there and give the chickens a feast of high protein live food. [​IMG]

4. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    Thanks yall. i just got some dishsoap out there.. waiting now then gonna splash those suckers outta there lol! the chickens were like wait what are you doing? bahahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by