Chemical free deodorizor for the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dg14, Mar 13, 2015.

1. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    Good afternoon everyone

So i just moved my coop about 5 feet because it was getting bare and i wanted my girls to have some grass to eat. anyways when i moved it a sworm of flies went where the coop was and the smell wasnt great smelling.. lol i know its crap but im worried about flies going after them now. im not asking for a fly spray for my chickens but a deodorizor that isnt harsh or maybe even a home made solution to put over the place they were or will that smell go away on its own? thanks for the help in advance! [​IMG]

2. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    So your wanting the smell removed from the last paddock yes?

I'd just spray it real good with a hose to help disperse the chicken 'stuff' and it should help with the smell a little. You can also sometimes find a natural enzyme spray at pet or feed stores that you can spray on the poo and it helps digest it faster, it's usually used for dog doo.

If it's in the coop, I'd recommend activated charcoal hanging in a mesh bag...or sprinkled on the floor. It won't hurt the birds if they eat a lil bit. And it should help cut down on the smell.

I hope that helps! :)

3. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    very helpful reply yes. i just did the dishsoap thing it worked well. they were like waaaaait a minute.

4. Torch404

Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by