Chemical Free feed

Country Parson

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Bellefontaine, OH
I'm not trying to start a debate on the pros/cons of GMO food. For myself, I have no real problem with GMO in theory. I'm more concerned about the use of pesticides and other chemicals (both in the field & in processing).

It seems Organic food is purely non-GMO. This seems to be one of the reasons Organic feed is so high. Is there a source of food that is pesticide/chemical free, though uses GMO?

Not labeled so to my knowledge.

I would suggest making some relationships with local smaller scale farmers where you can talk to the source directly to see what their practices are. Also research the typical practices for different grains, things such as wheat and oats generally do not need pesticides, so the only chemicals they would be grown with is chemical fertilizers... If you do not like chemical fertilizers, then organic is your best route. Otherwise select crops that do not need much herbicide or pesticide treatments... Alfalfa is another good one..

ON

Usually food is genetically modified for two reasons 1. To make it resistant to round up or other pesticides and/or herbicides or 2. To make it actually grow with pesticides in it. Because chemical use has been the main reason crops have been genetically modified I believe it is unlikely you will find a chemical free source of genetically modified crops. I hope that helps
smile.png

My husband told me about the medicated feed and asked if we have it here also. I asked the poultry shop about it and they told me that they don't sell those, at least not in Medan where I live. So I can say that the feed I have been feeding to my chicken isn't medicated. Oh by the way Medan is in Indonesia
smile.png

No. The only reason its GMO is so that pesticides can be used without killing the plant.
Double whammy
sad.png

Quote:
Pesticides don't harm plants.
roll.png

GMOs aren't harmed by herbicides

Quote:
Depending on the year and what weeds are an issue herbicides sometimes are used on wheat.

Can't speak for other areas, but here pesticides are often used on alfalfa.

Last edited:
Quote:
roll.png

Quote:
Depending on the year and what weeds are an issue herbicides sometimes are used on wheat.

Katy! I never said they harm the plant
th.gif

And I beg pardon for the wrong term...

Last edited:
Quote:
I would imagine that the crop losses would be higher in 'chemical free' fields and those losses would be reflected by higher feed prices...

Quote:
roll.png

Quote:

Katy! I never said they harm the plant
th.gif

And I beg pardon for the wrong term...

Oh but you did...you said
The only reason its GMO is so that pesticides can be used without killing the plant.

It doesn't matter whether a plant is a GMO or not a pesticide won't harm it....a pesticide kills bugs, not plants.​

Back
Top Bottom