Chemical Sensitivity

herfrds

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Montana
Does anybody have this?
What do you do?

I cannot stand fertilizer, weed spray, some perfumes and some household sprays.

yesterday the drain hose to my washer got knocked loose and we had water all over our front porch where it is. I got quite a bit cleaned up before having to leave and was going to finish it this morning.
Well DH went out there and sprayed a ton of Lysol all over the place. I can't stand to even walk through there.
I have a pounding headache due to it right now. No way to air it out.

I became sensitive after giving birth to my kids...before that I could wear fragrance no problems..now they have to have a very natural smell. I can get the same issues with other household things..I just try and limit my use.

Yep, I have something called: vasomotor rhinitis. I have no allergies, only chemical sensitivity. My post-nasal drip and runny nose got so bad I was coughing all the time. Ugh! Finally got so bad I went to the allergist and got tested and diagnosed properly. I have to take a nasal spray, but it just makes the condition tolerable. I don't like going to a lot of places because of air fresheners, perfumes, cleaners, etc. in the air. Ugh! I had to take my daughter to the dentist the other morning and the office smelled of air freshener! I went outside for awhile to get away from it. I have had to leave places because they were what I call "too clean." Fortunately, companies do make "clear and free" detergents and household cleaners. Now if my neighbors would stop using fabric softeners/dryer sheets!
tongue.png

I do, and I avoid fragrances as best I can. I hold my breath and run down the cleaning isle to buy anything I need there. I'll get out of line even if I'm next if someone with strong perfume is near by. The worst was when work started putting air fresheners in the locker rooms. I had a bad migraine from it, ended up having to wear a mask to go in there to change every day.

I don't have to deal with headaches, but scents are annoying. You should be able to request that air fresheners not be used in the locker rooms. It is a public area and you aren't the only one that finds it difficult. I think there are plenty of folks that don't like it and are just mildly affected by it - and don't complain. You have a right to request clean air. Avoidance is the best we can do sometimes. It isn't like we can pop a daily pill and be cured
hmm.png

Oh, some info I found on the internet said that people with chemical sensitivity tended to have low levels of vitamin C, some B vitamins and some various minerals. So, I concluded that it would help if I supplemented my diet with vitamins and minerals. I think it helps when I am consistent with these supplements. And avoiding chemicals.

Mine is heavy perfumes and heavy air fresheners. Light scents don't bother me so much, but the others can plug me up big time. Its annoying. We have a gal at work that bathes in patchouli oil.
sickbyc.gif

Heavy scents do bother me. Instead of air freshener, we ordered some home made soy tarts. A lot of the scents are light and refreshing, but some of them are WAY too strong for me. Maybe we'll give those away.

The main problem I have though is with things that go on the skin or laundry detergent. Makes me very itchy.

Cinnamon candles are the WORST... walking along and BLAMMO, it's like a bat to the face... it hurts and takes me days to get my nose back into joint. Other scents do that too, but that's the biggest culprit. Not really an issue so much since I don't work, but back when I did... oh man. Doesn't even have to be lit, the chemicals they use to flavor them are just evil.

Luckily about 7 years ago I found a candle company that uses NO chemicals... no perfumes just natural oils, no soy, etc. Cleanest (and longest) burning candles I've ever seen and they smell fabulous. Unfortunately not everyone else has found/likes this company. My nose would be a lot better off if they did.

when smells get to much I will open all the windows and go out for a coffee...

when we get cleaning in the house my son will use something smelly to clean upstairs... my hubby will be doing something in the basement... I will be doing laundry and cleaning the kitchen... then next thing you know whammo there is too many scents in the air and it will set off a series of reactions... headaches, runny noses, sore throat... ect...

We try to use vinegar as often as we can but thats not always possible

and yes pineapplemama you are right cinnamon is terrible!!.. its the worst at Christmas when they bring out the cinnamon pine cones

Back
Top Bottom