Cherries

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Nov 15, 2008.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Can Chickens eat cherries fresh from a tree or off the ground? Does it Matter if the cherries are the sweet variety or sour variety?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Chickens can eat cherries. Mine LOVE them (sweet ones). I guess you can see if they like the sour ones too.
    JJ

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Andy 123,
    Mine love any and all cherries sweet or sour, on the ground also. they especially like the little caterpillers that come out of the cherry trees in the spring.

4. TillinWithMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    OK, Thanks [​IMG]

I was thinking about planting another fruit tree in our yard, and I thought that I would try cherries.

The only real concern that I had with cherries was that I have heard somewhere that the pits contain cyanide:

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/09/12/yes-apple-seeds-and-cherry-pits-are-poisonous.htm

But, this shouldn't be an issue if the chickens aren't able to break open the pits, and with your advice, and experience, it sounds like it should be fine.

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Has anyone else had any experiences with feeding cherries to chickens?

6. cheeze

cheeze Time Out

Oct 6, 2008
    middle TN
    Quote:A good way to find out is to throw cherries in front of your chickens.

Your question is kinda like "do all blondes like vanilla ice cream?".

Sorry for the sarcasm but you just have to try some things for yourself and see what happens.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you have goats keep them away from the cherries and cherry trees.

8. TillinWithMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:A good way to find out is to throw cherries in front of your chickens.

Your question is kinda like "do all blondes like vanilla ice cream?".

Sorry for the sarcasm but you just have to try some things for yourself and see what happens.

I was more concerned about them dying when I fed it to them than their personal preference.

9. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    they can eat cherries

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Andy 123,
    I didn't know this. Good info. I find my hens tear up the cherries and don't swallow the pits. At least I don't think so and have never seen them eat one whole. They only get ground cherries because my trees are 30-40 years old w/ the lower branches well off the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by