1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Cherry Pie

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Morgan7782, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Alright so we have a cherry tree in our backyard with a ton of ripe ripe cherries. So we pick them, and my mom bakes this DELICIOUS cherry pie. I finish my piece and see some crumbs and bits of cherries, so I go out and offer it to my girls. Joon's (Barred Rock) voice JUST changed from the cheeping to Boook Booook, so she was doing that at the paper plate the crumbs were on. Finally she grabbed some, and then DOVE in. Munk, my Easter Egger, was very cautious of the paper plate, and wouldn't eat off it, so I dumped a few crumbs on the ground for her. Joon was scarfing though!! Poor Munk only got a few crumbs and maybe a piece of cherry. Anywho, they LOVED it very much! I love having chickens I can share my scraps with [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I was picturing you giving a cherry pie to a white chicken. [​IMG] I guess you'd end up with a pink chicken with the cherry stains on them.[​IMG]

Mine got spagetti today, and a left over potato/egg casserole.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Cherry pie leftovers? No way! We don't really have any leftovers of any kind--those are called "tomorrow's supper" around here.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Haha let me clarify, the cherry pie leftovers were CRUMBS lol!! Hardly anything, and yes my mom lectured me on giving "half my pie to the chickens" ah well. [​IMG]

Edited to add: We had a white cat up north a ways where the dirt was red/orange clay. Well after a month or so the white cat had turned pink. We had a friend over from the bay area and she commented at one point about the cat "What a BEAUTIFUL cat! What breed is he? I've never seen such a color!" Needless to say we all had a laugh before explaining LOL

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: