Chesapeake Bay Retriever vs Labrador Retriever?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolf-Kim, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    My husband has always wanted a chocolate retriever. So I was curious about the Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, never been around them personally.

I've dealt with Labrador Retrievers, and some are laid back ol' farm dogs and some are energetic unfocused balls of energy. Then again, I may not have been around well bred Labradors.

Adam wants a dog to be his all round bud, a good house dog, a good farm dog, and a good waterfowl retrieving dog.

So I'm curious, has anyone dealt with both breeds and what is your preference and why?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I"ve never personally owned either breed, but come into contact with them regularly at work. Chessies tend to be more of a challenge to socialize, and can be more aggressive in my experience. Chocolate labs tend to be more squirley than the blacks and yellows, also seem to have a lot more trouble with allergies. They can also be somewhat aggressive, but training can have a big impact on how a dog turns out. Which ever breed you decide to go with, buying from a reputable breeder with healthy, sound dogs will decrease your chances of having problems. Hope that helped.

3. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    If color really makes a diff... yellow are the mellowist but happy to do all that you ask

Chessies-allot of dog!

4. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Hubby has his heart set on the Chocolate colors. I wouldn't mind the Fox Red labs, learned about those just the other day.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I just have to say that I always want to have a Labrador. My black and chocolate MALES are the best, most laid-back dogs I have ever seen. The yellow female was nuts, but very sweet.

6. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

You got ahead of me. I just started a thread on males vs. females!

I was telling Adam he wanted a male, but he insisted he wanted a female. I think he is basing this decision off of our current dogs. Which our only male now is a beagle/lab/chow and is a stubborn thing and hardly traineable. [​IMG]

7. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    i agree with Kansas, chessie tend to be more aloof, and choc labs tend to be freaky, compared to black and yellow labs. but find a good breeder and good training, either dog would be great.

8. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Make sure that both parents are x-rayed and cleared from hip dysplasia and preferably OFA Certified good or better. A reputable breeder will make sure his breeding stock is clear, if they don't know what you're talking about, RUN the other way, no matter how cute the pup. I think there is an eye problem and elbow problem in retrievers also, a good breeder will know, just ask.

I have had some contact with Chessies and found them pretty stubborn and sort of one-man dogs. Labs usually are much more laid back, but they have a LONG adolescence-about 2 years old before they get much sense. Don't buy from a field trial breeder unless you want a really high energy dog. Bench bred dogs (bred for show) usually are calmer but still have a lot of birdyness about them. Show breeders don't usually (hardly ever) have every pup in a litter show quality, so pet homes are important and the pet puppies get the same care and socializing as the show quality puppies.

If you want a quality dog, stay away from pet shops. Always.

9. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Oh, by the time we are ready to actually purchase the pup, we'll have researched and bugged the breeder to death. You'll never see me even considering purchasing a puppy from a petshop.

It seems to be an overall census that Chessies are a little more stubborn, so that will probably be enough to get us to stick to a good ol' Lab. So we'll just look around for Lab breeders with the same interest as us. I was just curious.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We have owned both a Chessie and multiple Labs. Our Chessie was an enormous male and also an enormous baby. At over 100 lbs he still thought he was a lap dog. He was definately devoted, yes stubborn at times, good bird dog that could handle pond ice with ease and a true family pet. Of the Labs that have gone through the family I would have to say to stay away from the chocolates for what you want. My oldest brother raises field trial dogs and his best have been blacks. The yellows tend to be a bit more high strung and with all of them it does take longer to get the puppy out of them. Of the two breeds I would take a good Chessie any day even though I love labs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by