Chest bumping behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmclean, Nov 17, 2011.

1. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    My hens have started what I call chest bumping. ( They are about 3 months old.) Have any of you observed this behavior ? Does it mean anything?????
    Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Normal. Pullets do it as well. Playground, pecking order antics. White light dials them up, subdued or red light dials them down, btw.

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    They're discussing who outranks who.

4. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Sounds like they're playing. Alot of young chickens do this.

5. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    Thanks yall!! Does that sound like "mean girls" on the playground, or what????!!!

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Precisely.

7. chics n more

chics n more Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    My month old chicks that we hatched are doing this-however the little golden sebrights are chest bumping our monster RIR crosses. The little ones kinda have to jump up before the bump. Its hysterical. One little one just grabs hold of their chests in his beak and hangs on as long as he can. I will try to get a picture. Those little guys are just full of it!
    I love chicken TV. [​IMG]

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    My arucana pullet, Ariel, and my white crested black polish pullet, Mikaela, like to chest bump our dogs. Our border collie looks at them like they're nuts while our sheltie has more of a "Mama, the birds are being mean to me!" mentality. [​IMG]

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    My pullets do it quite often,I understand why they do but not sure if it actually settles anything. Watched a BO and a CQ run at each other from 40ft apart,bump chests stand high on their hocks with their necks straight up and looking each other down,then just walked away from each other. I must be just a stupid human because it sure didn't look like anything was settled to me,at best a draw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by