Chest bumping...between pullets (2 weeks old)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueheaven, May 3, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i put my 8 pullets out in their coop and they were just hanging around in the run and the rhode island red and the campine erected their bodies straight up and were bumping their chest into each other. they did this twice. this is the first time i have ever seen this. they are only two weeks old too...

is this normal?

they are not even my 'dominant chicks'.

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've seen my 2 d'Uccles do that, but they're adult hens, not two week old babies. [​IMG] I assumed it's a pecking order, dominance thing.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

perfectly normal

4. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    it is just too funny to watch.
    i have seen others fly at each other and move others out of their way! but they were acting like MALES [​IMG] haha

5. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    LOL my little 17 day old bantams were doing that last nite 4 of them [​IMG]. I thought maybe they are the roosters??? It was so funny two started at it then the other two joined in ran up to each other and started bumping chests then stood back and ran at each other and did it again .This went on for 10 min or so. Made me laugh guess its normal but are they roosters or do the girls do this also hmmmmmmm

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Hens do this as well. I had a bantam mix and a red sex link do this. That banny kicked butt...LOL

7. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    mine are (hopefully) all girls [​IMG]
    i too thought it would just be between roosters.
    no clear winner yet! (campine = roberta and RIR = cherry)

8. vicschics

vicschics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    My 6week GLW's do this and it is a hoot to watch. They don't seem to hurt each other when they do it...establishing pecking order I thought and somone on here confirmed that for me. They are to funny....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by