chest bumping?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eastercreek, Apr 12, 2011.

1. eastercreek

eastercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Benton, LA
    Is the behavior common of both pullets and cockerals? I have a mixture of breeds ranging from 6-7 weeks and there are a couple that have a tendency to ruffle their neck feathers and jump up and chest bump with each other...one typically loses the dominance battle and waddles off to another group.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    From what ihave heard, it is usually male thing, but I have had females do this too. Does that help? [​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It is their way of working out the "pecking order". Yes both pullets and cockerels do this so you can relax. You don't have a brooder full of boys! [​IMG] I have been watching my 11 chicks do this for a couple weeks. It cracks me up every time to see the chicks doing it.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    It is hillarious to watch. Mine don't do it anymore now that they are grown. I'm sorry I didn't video tape it when they were younger. Dub in some funny voice over and you'd have a winner.

5. eastercreek

eastercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Benton, LA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I may just do that:)

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have found it to be normal with both cockerels and pullets, yes. I think it's just a "roo" thing for the cockerels, but I have found it to be a pecking order type thing with the pullets. They have to establish dominance, silly things. [​IMG]

7. hansolo

hansolo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Fremont, CA
    Thank god...

Quote:

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I have three girls, all about 10 weeks old. They do this from time to time with each other. They puff up, stand tall and chest bump. It's mostly the top two trying to make sure they've established who the top girl is. The third, the super shy one (Barred Rock) doesn't really participate much.

Chickeninthemitten08 likes this.
  9. lulubird

lulubird Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    My girls did the chest bumping thing up until they were about 12 weeks old. We have wild turkeys that wander through our yard, and I caught one of my pullets trying to chest bump one. She sort of panicked as she was flying up to try to do the bump and flapped away frantically.

The turkey completely ignored her.

10. hansolo

hansolo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Fremont, CA
    I have the exact situation. Mine maybe 9 weeks. 2 out of 3 roos wont be good

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by