chest bumping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenbythesea, Jun 28, 2011.

1. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    ok, my chicks are about 2 1/2 weeks now and just today I've noticed that they'll kinda run at each other.. stand tall (stretch their necks as far as they can) and bump each other in the chest. Is this just establishing pecking order? they're not hurting each other and frankly remind me of a bunch of rambunctious teenage boys.... they're hysterical to watch... just wondering what it's all about? thanks

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    They are exactly what you said trying to establish a pecking order. Some times roos will do this but I have also had pullets that did this too.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Pecking order, learning adult behaviors, staving offf chicken boredom....

It is normal behavior. Have fun watching them! [​IMG]

4. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:Yeah my 16-week old pullets do this to this day! Crazy girls.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:x 2

Today I watched my turkey poult chest bumping with one of the chicks she/he was hatched with. [​IMG]

6. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    My 14 week old pullets started doing this a few weeks ago, they also spread out their neck feathers when they get in each other's face.....they look like those frilled lizards when they do it.....LOL!!

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If they aren't already, they'll soon be jumping on backs also. I was worried that I had a whole brooder full of boys! It turns out that the meek one in the corner was actually the whoops cockerel and the crazy ones were all pullets.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts, they are establishing their pecking order. I love to watch my chicks... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    My girls (going on 4 & 5 weeks) have just started doing this as well and is sure is fun to watch!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by