Chest-butting chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tofumama, Oct 7, 2009.

1. tofumama

tofumama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 7 chicks of various breeds and unknown sexes in a bin together. They are about 5-6 weeks old. Normally they are very happy together. I have one silkie and one mutt(?) who flap their wings and 'chest-butt' each other. What the heck is THAT all about? Does this mean they are roo's ? Noone else plays that way...

They have lots of space, they are in a 45gal. bin right now with perches, etc. No pecking, just the chest-butting.

I am baffled.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    boredom?

3. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    My last batch did that, and the new batch I have (~4 weeks) does that.

I just figured that they're babies, and babies play. Or a pecking order thing perhaps?

I could be off base too, but that's just what I figured..

4. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Roos will commonly bump chests and beat their wings, but some hens will get into this too, so you can't be certain they are all roos just from this behavior.

5. tofumama

Based on their behavior, I thought they were roo's. One I am almost certain is a roo(the mutt) but I bought him because he was so darn handsome. The silkie I think is a roo is quite pushy and LOUD, lol.

Course as I type this, they are all sitting peacefully together in their bin next to me...

6. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    My hens at 6 months of age now still bump chests.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have two grown hens that square off so bad - chests bumping, claws flying, wings flapping - that my roo runs for cover. [​IMG]

8. tofumama

Oh! lol, I hope that is not what I am in for! [​IMG]

9. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    When I had my chicks in the brooder still I would take them outside every now and then. As soon as I would let them out of the box that I carried them in they would all run around doing that chest bumb thing. After they all did this then they would run and explore. [​IMG] I think they were just excited when mine did it.

Yours might be bored or just playing. LOL that answer really doesn't help much.

My friend that has a lot of chickens, all you see is chickens, she has some females that full out fight like gritsar said hers will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by