1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chest lump?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shrader, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    My chicks are now almost a month old. (Wow, time flies!) As they've grown and sprouted their feathers, they've all (9) developed what looks like either a large lump on the right side of their chest, or just an uneven chest (with the right side protruding much further). My digital camera is broken, so I can't take a pic, but does anyone know anything about this? I was very concerned when I noticed the first one, but they all seem to have it. And they're acting just fine. Lots of energy, normal eating, normal breathing and pooping. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I hate to state the obvious, but have you considered that it could just be their crops are full? Is the lump more pronounced after they eat? If so, then I suspect that's all it is. And yes, it's normal.

3. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Please do state the obvious. I'm brand new at this and (I have to be honest) I don't even know what the crop is. Is it on the right hand side of their chest? Could it just be, basically, a full belly? That'd be great. Thanks.

4. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Yeah, it's located to one side of the chest. I'm relatively new to chickens as well, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the crop is an organ for food storage in birds. You'll notice that after they eat, one side of the chest will seem full. And yeah, it's basically like having a full stomach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by