Chest or Upright?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jul 6, 2008.

1. From experience, what type of freezer is better, a chest or upright?
    Space is not an issue..

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I like the chest freezers better because I can throw more stuff in them. We have both but tend to use the chest freezer a lot more.

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I like and have an upright. I used to have a chest freezer ( I gave it to my DD) I lost food in it. I would clean it out and find meat buried in the bottom. That meat would have to be thrown out.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have a chest and while I like it, you do lose food at the bottom. Upright is easier to find things but it can be done with the chest. Just have to dig.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I bought a chest ,
    wish I had bought the upright

I'm 5 ft tall I can't reach what's on the bottom
    [​IMG]

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I like my upright.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i have had both...more space in chest.

something that helped me to keep from 'losing' stuff (only know because i have done that also)

organize milk crates in the chest with like items...label them so you can see easily. if you keep them pretty level, they stack very well. then reserve an area for big items such as turkeys etc. other dividers work well, but use things that allow air flow, or you're shooting yourself in the foot

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Unless you buy an upright the size of standard frig you will have more room in a chest freezer. However, you will end up stacking in a chest freezer and never see the stuff on the bottom and it is hard to access because you have to try and lean over and reach to the bottom.

As you can tell I prefer a upright although we have both.

9. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    I like upright because I'm too short to get to the bottom of a chest

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We have an upright. I have a bad back from an accident and couldn't handle digging in a chest freezer anymore. The upright is really easy to keep organized and to use. I think chest freezers are supposed to be more energy efficient, because all the cold air stays inside when you open the lid. For me, they have no other positive. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by