Chest Wound with blobby fat hanging out (Picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmyBella, Mar 24, 2017.

1. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    My two year old hen tangled with a hawk today and came away with a couple of gashes under her wing and a wound to the breast. I would love some advice on the chest... I can't quite figure out what to do. There's a blob of fat that is hanging down out of the wound. I removed some feathers, cleaned it, applied neosporin, gauze, and tried to make a sling with vetwrap. Didn't work... it slipped within minutes and she pulled the gauze out.

She is quite the trooper... hasn't shown any symptoms of distress, pain or shock, is eating, drinking, pooping, and laid an egg an hour after the attack. Has anyone dealt with this kind of injury?

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use some plain neosporin and cover the wound with piece of Telfa non-adherent dressing. Then if you can find some pantyhose/tights/spandex type material, you could make a jacket that should hold it into place. I would keep the tissue moist with the ointment so that it doesn't dry out. She is lucky. I lost a polish hen last summer to a hawk. I hope she does okay. Is she eating and drinking?

2 people like this.
  3. AmyBella

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Thank you so much for responding. I definitely have some old pantyhose and tights kicking around... Hopefully I can fashion something for her that will stay put and be comfortable.

Grrrrr... Predators! I have lost one other bird to a hawk and a couple to foxes over the years. It stinks. But I have also witnesses the incredible healing abilities of our feathered friends and that gives me hope. Eagle Beak didn't show any signs of being in pain even when I was cleaning her up. She is eating and drinking and actually seems to be enjoying all the attention!

1 person likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens are very stoic animals. They really seem to trust us with helping them get better. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Following. I see you have already recieved good advice from @Eggcessive .

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    AmyBella, how is your hen doing today?

7. AmyBella

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

Eagle Beak is doing great! It's been two weeks and the wounds under her wings are almost gone. Her chest is significantly better and seems to be healing nicely.

For the first week I rinsed daily with chlorhexidine wash and applied Neosporin. Every effort to cover/bandage the wound was thwarted... This bird was dedicated to escaping! I was worried that she would get tangled or hurt herself, so the wound was mostly left open. The second week I used chlorhexidine only after she decided to take a dirt bath. Switched to honey daily instead of Neosporin.

Eagle Beak has gotten to hang out outside with her sisters a few times. (Supervised, of course) She's getting restless being cooped up in the house. The nights are still cold, so she'll have to stay in a little longer.

Sorry for the delayed update... Work and chicken chores are keeping me busy. Thanks for being here, everyone!

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great news! I'm glad that she is healing well. Thank you for the update.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear she is doing well! Thank you for the update[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by