Chester or Charity?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Dec 18, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    This BR cockeral (I presume) is nearly 4 months old, has little comb/wattle development, but does have lighter than pullet coloring, thick legs with large feet, deep voice, long neck. No apparent saddle feathers, but maybe hackles? He/she has not crowed yet and obviously due to age, has not laid an egg yet. For size comparison, he/she is housed with a RIR that I am pretty sure is a pullet of the same age. I know there is some size difference in RIR and BR, but the size of this BR's feet alone make me think boy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is no "dominant roo" in his near vicinity, and he is confined so don't think he would be refusing to crow because of subordination? I have a bantam cochin roo who was housed nearby and began crowing at only 6 weeks...

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    yep boy

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    pullet

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    pips&peeps :

pullet

now what?​

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    It looks like its got some saddle feathers, so Im voting Chester, also if you see in the wing part seems like he has some kind of golding coloring showing, or it might be just the quality of the picture.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Can you post a better pic of the tail end? I think I see saddle feathers. If so,....... Chester

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I will head outside right now and return with a hopefully better pic... [​IMG]

Thanks all so far!

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'm almost embarrassed to show the pic I just took. Making Chester pose for the camera confirmed the sex I do believe. I just always picked him up and moved him, never paid attention to his shape so much and was so busy hunting for feathers I ignored the overall body shape. Definite boy...as to the "golden" coloring on the wings, the idiot dumped his waterer last night and evidently dust-bathed in it, lol.

[​IMG]

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] BAD CHESTER! [​IMG]

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:I know, right? [​IMG]

I am not disappointed so much with the gender I guess, because we were planning on having two new coops built this spring. One of white leghorns and one of barred rocks so I guess we just have our new head honcho...he seems very happy with his only girlfriend, "Trudy" the RIR. Chester had a brother until recently, but the other BR got lame on one leg and it just wouldn't heal and we couldn't find an injury, so we humanely euthanized him. We would have eaten him, awful as that may sound, but he had wasted away from his injury and was a little too skinny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by