1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chewed Feet...rabies risk?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GreatPyrLover, Jul 18, 2011.

1. GreatPyrLover

GreatPyrLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    Three of my babies had their feet chewed by something Saturday night...we found them Sunday morning...blood everywhere....they are ok...one is worse than the other...she is missing half of one toe...I picked them up and cleaned them up without thinking and didnt put on gloves...should I be worried about a rabies risk to me and my daughter???????? [​IMG] [​IMG] Also, what other than antibiotic ointment can I do for their feet....I know it hurts them. Thanks for any suggestions!!!!!!

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    The Rabies Virus infects mammals only.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    If you had an open wound on your hands, and got saliva from a rabid coon in the wound, you could be at risk. I don't think it's likely. You need to post how old your babies are. I think you can give them part of a crushed baby asprin for pain. You are lucky that's all the coon or whatever it was got , i lost more than one chicken that way until i figured out what was happening.:-(

4. GreatPyrLover

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    They hatched out around the end of May...the 30th I think...I loaded them down in neosporin last night....I dont have any open cuts on me and the only thing I got on me was their blood but wasnt sure if their blood would have the virus or not. Just want to double check since my daughter was involved too.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You are probably ok, mostly see rabid critters in the daytime. Their blood would not be infected yet. Given their age, maybe half or a third of a baby aspirin dissolved in water, electrolytes and vitamins will help them get over the shock. Sorry this happened to your birds. I had one that lived quite a while after loosing half her leg. Poor girl:-(

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Sounds like a rat (s)....

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Sounds like a rat to me too...I don't think a coon would have just 'tasted' the chicks.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Agreed - a coon would have killed them.

9. GreatPyrLover

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    I was thinking rat too, I just didnt think a rat could bite off half a toe that quick....I was hoping that they wouldnt have sat there and let something chew their feet....I am sure they were moving around...whatever it was couldnt get to the whole bird...it only got what was coming thru the wire...so needless to say I have them put up a whole lot tighter....I will try the baby aspirin......hopefully that will help...I hate the thought of them in pain...I am trying to clean the wounds and keep ointment on them....they are soooo sweet!!!!!! I have had chickens for over 5 years and this is the first batch of babies that have hatched at my house from my hens...none of mine will sit...so I was excited to have these three and now this happens to them!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by