chewed my hen head off

black star

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
What predator will do that (I live in Edgefield South Carolina hope this helps)cuz i am debating between opossum or raccoon because i really don't know.some people said possum some say raccoon(and this is a new pen i just build and first time being attack)

Just today actually someone told me they had just the head of one of their hens chewed off by a skunk. The skunk will apparently chew the head, drink the blood and then leave the rest.
Terrible!!

What predator will do that (I live in Edgefield South Carolina hope this helps)cuz i am debating between opossum or raccoon because i really don't know.some people said possum some say raccoon(and this is a new pen i just build and first time being attack)

A lot of small animals just chew the heads of including Bob-Cats
but that is the normal thing to do ....

Do you have any photos of you coop and run ????

Did you find the hole from which they entered ???

Just today actually someone told me they had just the head of one of their hens chewed off by a skunk. The skunk will apparently chew the head, drink the blood and then leave the rest.
Terrible!!
All members of the weasel family do this to some extent, but their not the only predator that'll start with the head. For what it's worth possums begin at the opposite end of a chicken. I guess their teeth isn't as strong.

For the past two nights our turkeys have been attacked. They are in a huge pen which is 7 feet high with a double layer of chicken wire all the way around. Each morning we find one turkey missing a head and some organs but the big breast meat is left untouched. There aren't any signs of digging around the secure bottom but we can't continue on this path. We need to figure out the culprit so that we can inform ourselves of their behavior and guard against it. Any idea on what type of animal this could be.

gonna try to catch him tonight and you know what; he showed me where he was coming in,i did not know there was a hole that small for something that big to squeeze through

Back
Top Bottom