Chewing gum wad egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Imprfctme, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Imprfctme

Imprfctme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    I cleaned the coop today and found a really weird, dark yellow, dried egg. It was sort of like a cashew but bigger. Soft enough to break in half and see the little yolk in it. It had he consistency throughout of playdoh. I've never seen anything like this. One of my hens regularly lays membrane only eggs with no hard shell, but his one didn't even have any liquid in it. Anyone ever seen this? I do have 3 pullets that are maybe starting to lay, 2 1 yr olds that are moulting and 1 that is just laying consistently.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My guess is that it was a membrane only egg that got buried and mummified in the litter. If you use anything to help keep the litter dry like DE that would speed it along.

3. Imprfctme

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    Yes I do use DE in the bottom of the nesting boxes to discourage bugs. Thanks for the tip, I'm rather relieved it didn't come out that way! I must have somehow missed it when it was laid.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. Imprfctme

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    Yes, that was it exactly! Like a cooked Chicken Kiev as one of the others posted. Well two of them are moulting right now and not laying regularly and I have a few teenagers so who knows who the culprit was. I suspect my white rock since she is always layign the more "special" eggs, i.e., mutant shells, shell-less, fart eggs, etc. I think her plumbing is a little whackadoo in general. As long as she's not sick or anything. "Lash" egg - good to know.

6. figlover

figlover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    I found three chewing gum wad eggs in the last six months.

The other day I quarantined a singularly solitary hen (comet) and she laid one of these little of-white globs over night. I'm afraid her vent is plugged. Not sure what to do. She seems depressed but okay otherwise. Except of course for the glob.

What is DE?

7. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    DE is Diatomaceous Earth MUST be food grade DE (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, ants or fleas) it compromises their waxy coating so that their innards turn into teeny tiny bug jerky. But it doesn't hurt mammals. We can eat it. We do eat it! It's in lots of grain based foods because lots of grains are stored with diatomaceous earth to keep the bugs from eating the grain!

8. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Could these eggs be lash eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by