Chewing Tobacco...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tallyho, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    What do you think of this for lice and mite control? I know nicotine is toxic, but...Is it safe in small amounts for chickens?

"Buy a package of Chewing Tobacco and put the whole package into 1 gallon of warm water. Let it stand in a warm place overnight 12 hours minimum. Filter the solution using a coffee filter and put it into a clean spray device. You can add 4 tablespoons of dish soap to this and spray the foliage down. Make sure you get the mites. Spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves. Once you have done this spray the floor and walls in the grow area. Bear in mind that the spray may brown the leaf tips and visible pistils. This is a very powerful contact insecticide."

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    That sounds like a VERY strong recipe! I do the tobacco tea thing, but I only use 4 tablespoons of the tea with 1 drop of dishsoap mixed in a spraybottle of water, and it takes care of whiteflies on my gardenias. The above recipe sounds like it would smell pretty bad too!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow. That sounds awfully strong.

When I was smoking, I kept a plastic frosting tub outside with water in it, and put my smokes out in it. When it got mostly full, I'd strain the water out into a gallon jug, add MORE water to fill the gallon jug, 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap, and use that in a sprayer for aphids and whatnot.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Once upon a time, I used to chew tobacco. It's pretty potent stuff. I would be reluctant to spray that mixture where it could come in contact with a chicken's skin. (Didn't stop me from stuffing it in my cheek for 30+ years.) Would definately give you some HIGH chickens.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've been told that nicotine is VERY strong and if used in an enclosed place can easily kill the birds.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I agree with you sourland. I chewed Redman for 35 years, stopped chewing cold turkey 2 years ago. Glad I quit. I think the liquid no matter how diluted it would be, could irritate, even possibly burn their bare skin. I wouldnt chance it.

7. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I guess this does not sound like a good idea.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by