Chez Henrietta [image heavy thread]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SgtChikkin, Feb 27, 2014.

1. SgtChikkin

SgtChikkin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Meet Henrietta Houdini, she is an escape artist. She prefers this little nylon doghouse to a pen.

However, this just will not do as a permanent home. Baby chicks have arrived and are growing quickly in their brooder.

The initial brooder was a recycling bin, and we had to upgrade to a bookshelf laying on the floor ($10 on craigslist).

[​IMG]

Brooder:
    [​IMG]

So I drew up some plans, and my buddy gave me some roofing materials leftover from his chicken coop project, plus an old window.
    For the "foundation" I used some cinder blocks from the lot where the local church was recently built.
    I also purchased about a $100 worth of cedar boards, from a fence builder who went out of business, to make up the floor boards and frame.
    Some people say that cedar is poisonous to chickens, but not everyone agrees on that theory.
    I'm confident that the birds will be fine. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For insulation in the floorboards, we used styrofoam from used D'artagnan shipping containers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This has been a great father-son project, and we are animal lovers so the chickens have been a great motivation for us to work together.

We know we have many flaws in the Chikkin Koop, but we will be working to correct those. :)

I hope you enjoy the pics.

SgtChikkin (and son)

1 person likes this.
  2. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    looking really good![​IMG]

3. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Wonderful!