chiBlue Splash Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by christinedo, Nov 27, 2010.

1. christinedo

christinedo New Egg

Apr 25, 2010
    Hi, I bought was was told to me to be Blue Marans. I paid an arm and leg for them and was told they are Bev Davis lines. This last hatch of hers produced three white and black speck chicks along with 3 blues and two blacks. All have feathered legs. No other chickens are in this pen except the one roo and hen. Can someone tell me what a splash blue looks like? If they exist? And are these black ones just throw backs? The black specks seem to be getting more or bigger then when they were born. Thanks for all answers. You can send me email with your answer too...... thank you [email protected] (p.s. I need to sell them but want to be sure of what they are before doing so.)

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If you are breeding blue to blue, you will get blue, black and splash chicks. Splash chicks generally hatch out a yellowish color with some blue tinting. As they mature they will be a white with light to very dark blue shading (ticking) on them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:The three white and black speck chicks should be Splash.

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
    Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
    Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
    Splash X Black = 100% Blue
    Black X Black = 100% Black
    Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

Chris

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    The blue color does not breed "true." That is, blue bred to blue will not produce 100% blue chicks. Some of the chicks will be blue, some will be black, and some will be splash. The only way to get a 100% blue hatch would be to breed a black to a splash.

5. christinedo

christinedo New Egg

Apr 25, 2010
    Ok, Thank you all so much for this info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by